We know that choosing a home security system can be stressful because the stakes are so high and the options are so numerous. We’re here to help. We’ve reviewed the top home security companies to help you choose the best one for your needs.
After looking at 25 systems and over 100 features, we boiled down the various research, considerations and conclusions into a single number. This Safety Score is our all-in-one score that tells you how each company compares against our expectations and against other providers.
Of all the home security providers we looked at, SimpliSafe does the most comprehensive job of keeping customers safe and making them feel safe.
SimpliSafe gives you affordable home security with several products and services to choose from — all without requiring a contract. It’s a top pick for many because of its preventative features, including a ‘smash safe’ base station, and cellular connectivity with a back-up battery for your system to continue to work during a power outage.
Compare the Best Home Security Systems
Ring Home Security
Blue by ADT
Monitoring starts at
Equipment starts at
|DIY & Professional||Professional||Professional||DIY||DIY & Professional||DIY & Professional||DIY & Professional||DIY||DIY||DIY||DIY|
Which home security system is best for me?
Your ideal home security system depends on many factors, including square footage, entry points, desired cost, smart home compatibility, surveillance, and more.
No matter what’s on your mind when it comes to protecting your home, it all comes down to knowing you’re safe and feeling safe. You should feel like you’re in control of your devices and you have everything you need to prevent intrusion or environmental emergencies. Most of all, you should be able to count on your provider to be by your side with service, reliability and fast response when you need it most. Here are some of our top recommendations to consider:
Renters and Frequent Movers:
It’s best to look for DIY options that are wireless and contract-free so you can easily pack and reinstall if you move.
Some security providers, like Vivint and ADT, offer pet-friendly adjustable sensors to reduce false alerts from pets wandering your home.
ADT is one of the best options for senior citizens thanks to its professional monitoring, reliable equipment, and access to medical alerts for senior safety.
Homeowners with Kids:
Vivint, SimpliSafe or ADT are the best options for parents thanks to their sturdy equipment, convenient control options, and professional monitoring plans.
Homeowners with Smart Home Integrations in Mind:
If you’re looking to connect dozens of smart home devices and connect them to your security system for smart security, we recommend Scout, Link Interactive, Ring, or Vivint.
If you’re always on the go, you’ll need a home security system that gives you full control with your mobile device. We recommend Vivint, Ring, SimpliSafe and Frontpoint.
How Do We Rank the Best Home Security Systems?
- We rank the best home security systems with two focal points in mind— knowing you’re safe and feeling that you’re safe. We believe that your safety and security depend on four points to give you peace of mind.
ControlOur team takes a close look at the features that give you full control of your home’s security, including voice commands, mobile app accessibility and other features to keep you in the know, even when you’re on the go.
PreventionWe look at what services, products and features each provider offers to prevent intrusion and environmental dangers. Preventative security measures include anything from smoke detectors to surveillance features.
ReliabilityCustomer feedback matters to us. We look at reviews and common concerns that customer reviews have to give you a full 360 view of what each home security provider has to offer.
ResponseIn the event of an emergency, we want to make sure your provider is there for you. Our team looks at monitoring services, response time and other features to help you call for help when you need it most.
- Our goal is to simplify your home security journey by evaluating the most important factors when choosing a home security system. We assessed many products, services and features to help narrow down our top picks. That’s where our Safety Score comes in. This number is our all-in-one score that keeps these four points in mind. Our Safety Score Methodology shares more information about our scores, factors and how these providers made our top list.
Best Home Security System Reviews
- Best Overall DIY Security System
SimpliSafe Home SecurityOur rating9.9Starting at$19.99/mo
Our Take on SimpliSafe Home Security
SimpliSafe is our top pick for inexpensive monitoring, durable equipment and reliable services that simplify home security. You’ll have all the right devices and features to give you peace of mind — even when the unexpected happens.
★ Recommended Package
- Inexpensive professional monitoring
- Wireless equipment
- Cellular monitoring
- Mobile alerts not available in the basic monitoring plan
- No selection of smart home devices
- Smart home capabilities not available in basic monitoring plan
SimpliSafe is one of home security’s most popular choices. The company offers professional monitoring and innovative security equipment at an affordable price. SimpliSafe’s systems are also compatible with Google Assistant and Amazon Alexa, for voice control of your security equipment.
SimpliSafe Equipment & Packages:
SimpliSafe’s equipment is affordable and customizable, letting you add extra equipment anytime without breaking the bank. We love a few SimpliSafe features, including
- Crash-proof security panel
- Security camera that can be used both indoors and outdoors
- Voice control of your system using voice commands
But keep in mind that SimpliSafe doesn’t support Z-wave or Zigbee hubs yet. SimpliSafe is easy to self-install, but professional installation is available.
SimpliSafe’s professional monitoring is optional but reasonably priced if you’re interested. Keep in mind that the company’s monitoring services are handled by COPS, a third-party monitoring provider.
Two 24/7 monitoring options are available. Standard Monitoring gives you several features:
- Professional monitoring for about $15.50 per month
- Built-in cellular connection
- Fire monitoring
- Dispatch services
The Interactive Monitoring plan averages about $25.73 per month and adds surveillance features.
SimpliSafe’s Pricing & Value:
SimpliSafe’s prices are competitive, with the most basic package starting at $183. Though you won’t have long-term contracts with SimpliSafe, you’ll still have to pay for your equipment upfront — unless you choose to finance with PayPal Credit. You’ll also want to keep monthly professional monitoring costs in mind, but you can cancel anytime.
- Best Home Security for Industry Experience
Our Take on ADT Home Security
ADT’s a well-recognized name in the home security industry. It offers traditional security that requires professional installation and monitoring at a steep price.
★ Recommended Plan
- 6-month money-back guarantee
- $500 theft protection guarantee
- High-quality equipment
- Must pay for an extended warranty
- Lengthy contracts
- More expensive than competitors
ADT is one of the most well-known security providers to date. It has the most reliable equipment, top-notch customer service, and award-winning monitoring to help give you full control and peace of mind. ADT is best known for its 6-Month Money-Back Guarantee and $500 Theft Protection Guarantee. All around, ADT’s one of the most popular home security picks.
ADT Equipment and Packages:
ADT offers a wide variety of equipment, including:
- Video doorbell
- Indoor camera
- Outdoor camera
- Garage door controller
- Smart lock
- Smart plug
You’ll also have full control of your smart home and security equipment using the ADT mobile app and voice commands with Amazon Alexa.
ADT has three packages that require professional installation to help simplify your security journey — Secure, Smart and Complete. No matter which package you pick, you’ll have guaranteed features and equipment like:
- Fire detection
- Carbon monoxide
- Smoke monitoring
- Touchscreen control panel
- Intrusion detection
The catch: Each package requires at least $599 of equipment. Monitoring prices will vary depending on the package and equipment.
ADT’s Professional Monitoring:
ADT has in-house, award-winning professional monitoring included in every package to give you with peace of mind. Its professional monitoring centers are certified by the Underwriters Laboratory (UL) and The Monitoring Association (TMA). Professional monitoring requires a contract and starts at $49.99 per month, depending on your package.
ADT Pricing & Value:
ADT is a popular choice in the home security space, but it can be quite costly. The price of your ADT security system and service depends on your package and you’ll pay more for add-ons. Your monitoring price will also vary depending on your package choice.
- Best Smart Home Security
Our Take on Vivint Home Security
Vivint has an extensive line of smart security equipment that you can expand over time. The downside is that you’ll have a long-term contract if you finance your equipment.
★ Recommended Plan
Vivint’s Smart Home Service is our recommended plan because it unlocks a larger selection of smart home devices, as well as video monitoring.
- Month-to-month contract option if equipment is purchased upfront
- Backup battery included with the Sky Control panel
- Extensive equipment features, including Vivint Car Guard
- Long contract if equipment is financed
- Installation can take 3-4 hours
- Short (120-day) equipment warranty and service guarantee (unless you purchase Premium)
Vivint offers the most extensive line of smart home and security products for environmental monitoring, home security and surveillance. The products and services will give you fully integrated smart protection that’s easy to use.
Keep in mind that Vivint and ADT are tied when it comes to the Safety Score. Both providers have great options when it comes to control features, including:
- Instant alerts
- Smart home automation
- Voice commands for your security system
Vivint Equipment and Packages:
Vivint’s alarm panel doubles as a smart home hub to let you connect to other third-party products. We love that you’ll have the flexibility to add devices from popular brands, including August and Nest. Your equipment can be easily controlled using the Vivint app or Amazon Alexa voice commands.
Vivint offers many packages to choose from, or you can build your own based on your security needs. The system is backed by a 120-day warranty. If there’s a product defect, Vivint will repair or replace it to keep your system running smoothly.
Vivint’s Professional Monitoring:
Vivint requires 24/7 professional monitoring with its smart home and security equipment. Monitoring requires a contract and starts at $29.99 per month. Monitoring may cost more depending on the number of cameras installed.
Vivint’s Pricing and Value:
Vivint is known to be one of the pricier home security options. You’ll need a minimum of $599 of equipment to get Vivint’s service, plus a minimum monthly cost of $29.99 for professional monitoring. But if you can pay for the equipment upfront, you won’t need a contract. Fortunately, financing options are available.
- Best Pet-Friendly Home Security
Our Take on Frontpoint Home Security
Frontpoint lets you choose both your package and monitoring plan to help build the perfect home security system for renters and homeowners alike. Monitoring can be costly, but free DIY installation helps lower costs without reducing reliability or protection.
★ Recommended Plan
Our recommended Frontpoint plan is the Safe Home Starter equipment package combined with the Ultimate monitoring plan, which will give you access to a smartphone app for monitoring your security devices.
- No lengthy contracts
- Excellent customer service
- Variety of equipment to choose from
- Monitoring fees are relatively expensive
- Short (30 days) trial period
- No professional installation option
Frontpoint is a leader in DIY security, providing equipment that’s compatible with most smart home hubs. It’s best known for its exceptional customer service and month-to-month contracts for your flexibility.
Frontpoint Equipment and Packages:
Frontpoint offers all the home security essentials, including sensors, motion detectors and cameras. But most of all, we love that Frontpoint’s alarm panel doubles as a smart home hub to connect other smart home devices. Frontpoint also offers popular smart home devices including these affordable smart home devices:
- Smart lights
- Door locks
- Smart thermostats
You can control your home security and automation using voice commands from an Amazon Alexa-enabled device and the Frontpoint mobile app.
Frontpoint packages start at $99. You’ll have the option to choose one of Frontpoint’s pre-selected packages or customize your own. Financing options are available.
Frontpoint’s Professional Monitoring:
Frontpoint’s professional monitoring is relatively expensive compared to other providers. Monitoring starts at $1.48 per day — an average of $44 per month for the Interactive Plan. You’ll get these features to give you peace of mind.
- 24/7 professional monitoring
- Wireless and cellular connectivity
- Automated system checks
Frontpoint’s more costly monitoring option, the Ultimate Plan, is $1.64 per day — an average of $50.84 per month. The Interactive Plan gives you the following:
- Remote control
- ‘Crash and Smash Protection’ to alert police even if your system is damaged
- Motion-triggered alerts
- Live video streaming
Frontpoint professional monitoring is required with all packages but is billed on a month-to-month basis. No contract is required.
Frontpoint’s Pricing & Value:
Frontpoint’s equipment may seem average compared to other providers, but its professional monitoring service is more expensive than most. If you’re not sure about Frontpoint just yet, a 30-Day Risk-Free trial is available. You’ll receive a full refund if you’re not satisfied.
- Best for Self-Monitoring
Abode SecurityOur rating9.3Starting at$20/mo
Our Take on Abode Home Security
Abode lets you create your home security package based on your equipment and monitoring needs. Choose between self- and professional monitoring for your DIY equipment to give you the best home security at an affordable price.
★ Recommended Plan
The Iota All-In-One Security Kit combines motion detection, video surveillance, and two-way audio into a single hub for your home. Equipment starts at $299. Professional monitoring starts at $20 per month.
- Flexible monitoring plans
- Option for short-term professional monitoring
- Access to an all-in-one security system
- Professional monitoring only available in highest tiered monitoring plan
- Cellular backup not available in basic monitoring plan
- Understanding custom home automation features could be difficult for some
Abode offers DIY home security equipment that is designed with smart home connectivity in mind. You’ll also have more flexibility with the power to choose between self- and professional monitoring. Abode offers security essentials and surveillance to give you DIY smart security on a budget.
Equipment and Packages:
Abode’s equipment offers the home security basics and works with Apple HomeKit, Amazon Alexa and Google Assistant. And even though Abode doesn’t offer a wide range of smart home products, it works with Yale, Bose and Kwikset.
Abode offers two packages — the Smart Security Kit and the Iota Security Kit. The Smart Security Kit gives you the hub and security essentials for $229. The Iota Security Kit offers more for $329. The hub still gives you smart home connectivity and includes a built-in camera, motion sensor and siren.
Abode’s Professional Monitoring:
You’ll have the option to self-monitor or leave it to the pros. The Standard Plan costs an average of $6.20 per month and includes:
- Smart home features
- Mobile and email alerts
- Video storage
Or you can upgrade to the Pro Plan for — averaging $20.46 per month. You’ll get the following;
- All of the Standard Plan features
- 24/7 professional monitoring
- Cellular connectivity
- Free shipping within the U.S.
Either choice gives you home automation and popular security features at an affordable rate compared to other providers.
Abode’s Pricing and Value:
Abode gives you more than most for your money. It’s a budget-friendly DIY option that gives you security and smart home connectivity without the extra fees. You’ll be able to make the most of your smart lights, plugs and other devices without hefty package fees. It’s the perfect option for renters and homeowners alike.
Home Security Deals
Best Home Security Systems by City
Home Security Stats
Safety.com conducted a home security survey to find out more about alarm system ownership and the motivation behind security alarm purchases. Here are a few insights about home security systems:
- About 74% of survey respondents say their home security system or product makes them feel safe. A security system gives you peace of mind knowing that your provider has equipped you with the right equipment to get help quickly if something unexpected happens.
- 50% of respondents who own security products wanted to add extra security to their homes. Security systems should give you the flexibility to easily add equipment based on your security needs. You should have everything you need to feel safe. Providers like SimpliSafe and Scout make it easy to add security equipment whenever you need it.
- 38% of Americans own a home security product. And 41% of 18-34-year-old respondents (Gen-Z and Millennials) own a home security system or product. Did you know that installing a home security system can help deter burglars? Starting with standalone security such as a Ring video doorbell or camera can help keep you safe and increase preventative measures.
- 33% of those who don’t own a home security product said they couldn’t afford it. Fortunately, DIY home security systems that don’t require a contract let you start with the essentials and expand over time. Systems like Cove and SimpliSafe allow you to build your system based on your budget. And some options like Frontpoint let you finance your equipment so you can pay over time without breaking the bank.
- About 16% of all respondents own a professionally monitored security system. 24/7 professional monitoring can alert emergency responders whether you’re home or away. You’ll have a fast emergency response to catch intruders or respond to an emergency while you focus on staying safe from harm.
Home Security FAQs
- Price – You can expect to pay for equipment and professional monitoring. Additional fees for installation and activation may apply.
- Contracts – The average contract length is three years, but there are many home security providers that have no-contract options.
- Monitoring Options – Choose between professional or self-monitoring for your system.
- Connectivity Options – Choose between a landline, broadband, or cellular monitoring connection.
- Equipment – Basics like a control panel or hub and sensors come with every security system. Additional equipment can include cameras, smoke detectors, and smart devices.
- Smart Home Integrations – Products like smart lights, locks, and more are generally offered. Integration with Alexa, Google Assistant, and other technologies can be found as well.
- Mobile App Access – Get remote access and control by mobile app, allowing you to arm, disarm, and manage smart devices.
- Trial Period – Typically, providers give you 30 days to try out your new security system, but the trial period can vary.
We chose SimpliSafe as our top pick for its easy-to-install and affordable home security systems. The other security systems we recommend are also great options that might work well depending on your home security needs. When choosing a home security system, always consider what you need first and then go with the provider that aligns with what you’re looking for and can afford.
The best alarm system will fit your budget and also include the devices and features you need and want to help protect your home.
The need for a permit will depend on the provider. Some local areas require permits to help reduce the number of false alarms and unnecessary emergency responses.
If a home security system comes with a smart device or home automation capabilities, companies may deem that system as “smart.” You’ll be able to set up custom automation or manage smart devices while using your control panel and mobile app.
Most security alarm systems come with a mobile app, giving you the ability to arm, disarm, manage smart devices, and more by the touch of a finger.
For home automation combined with home security, we recommend Vivint or Nest. Vivint’s price tag is higher, but there’s a broader selection of smart home devices you can get with a Vivint security system. These include a lamp module, the Nest Learning Thermostat, a garage door controller and a Kwikset Smart Lock.
Like Vivint, with the Nest Secure System, you can also use multiple home automation products like the Nest x Yale Smart Lock, Nest Hub, Google Home and much more.