Compare Top Providers
Pro. monitoring starts at
|$45.99/mo.||Contact for a quote||$29.99/mo.||$14.99/mo.||$44.99/mo.|
|Professional||Professional||Professional||DIY or Professional||DIY|
|36 months||Not specified||42-60 mos. or pay for equipment in full||None||None|
Smart home compatibility
|Option to extend limited warranty||Not specified||120-day equipment warranty||3-year limited equipment warranty||3-year limited equipment warranty|
Home Security in Tacoma
Tacoma, Washington, is known for its vibrant glass art scene, punctuated by the tilted shining silver cone housing the Hot Shop Amphitheater of the Museum of Glass. The museum connects to the Thea Foss Waterway via the Chihuly Bridge of Glass, a 500-foot pedestrian bridge that houses three additional glass art installations. For the more outdoorsy, Mt. Rainier offers Tacoma visitors and residents 14,410 feet of rugged rock climbing. Tacoma is also home to the most historic of the Pantages Theaters, and the city’s location on the Puget Sound is the perfect spot for the Point Defiance Zoo & Aquarium, where you can see animals from all around the Pacific Rim. But no matter what draws you to live in this picturesque city of the Pacific Northwest, we’ll help you find a home security system that’s right for Tacoma.
Tacoma Crime Statistics
When it comes to crime, Tacoma gets a failing grade from NeighborhoodScout, which places it in only the 2nd percentile for America’s safest cities. In other words, 98% of cities in the U.S. are safer than Tacoma, making home security systems all the more valuable. The statistics don’t get much better when compared with the rest of the state of Washington. You’re nearly three times as likely to become a victim of violent crime in Tacoma compared to the rest of the state, and almost double as likely to become a victim of property crime there. In Tacoma in 2018, the FBI reported:
- 7,573 incidents of larceny-theft
- 1,912 incidents of burglary
- 1,151 incidents of aggravated assault
- 1,877 incidents of motor vehicle theft
- 503 incidents of robbery
Local Spotlight: Protec — Local Security Provider
Protec is located just outside of Tacoma in University Place, Washington. The company has an average rating of four-and-a-half out of five stars from Yelp users, and it gets an A+ grade from the Better Business Bureau. Protec includes an equipment and service guarantee for every customer, so you never have to pay extra for service calls or to replace faulty equipment. If you need to move, its reps will uninstall and reinstall your security system free of charge as long as your new home is within Protec’s service area.
Protec offers three plans for its customers: the Protection Plan, the Ultimate Plan and the Surveillance Plan. For the Protection Plan you can choose any seven wireless devices from the following: door/window sensor, glass break detector, key remote, medical pendant, motion detector or smoke detector. The Ultimate Plan includes your choice of seven wireless devices from the Protection Plan, plus an additional three smart home devices of your choice. The Surveillance Plan likely includes additional camera equipment or video monitoring options, but Protec’s website doesn’t specify.
Protec offers customizable package options so you can choose only the devices you need. Its offerings include smart home options, such as thermostats and light modules, with modern touchscreen keypads. Protec offers guarantees on equipment and service, so you won’t have to pay extra for repairs if something stops working.
- Flexible package options
- Equipment guarantee
- Free system transfer if you move
- No upfront pricing
- Long-term contracts*
- Not much detail provided on website
- Best home security for industry experience
Our Take on ADT Home Security
- 6-month money-back guarantee
- $500 theft protection guarantee
- High-quality equipment
- Must pay for an extended warranty
- Lengthy contracts
- More expensive than competitors
- Best smart home security
Our Take on Vivint Home Security
Vivint is our top choice for smart home security with an extensive line of equipment filled with smart features. The control panel also doubles as a smart hub. The only downside is that Vivint requires a long-term contract if you finance the equipment. Professional monitoring and installation are also required.
- Smart Hub to connect and control smart home and security devices
- Extensive smart features for security equipment including package detection and Smart Deter
- Wide range of security and smart home equipment
- Contract required for service and financed equipment.
- Professional monitoring and installation required
- Expensive equipment compared to other providers
- Best overall DIY security system
SimpliSafe Home SecurityOur rating9.9Starting at$14.99/mo
Our take on SimpliSafe Home Security:
SimpliSafe Home Security is our top pick for inexpensive monitoring, durable equipment, and reliable services that simplify home security. You’ll have all the right devices and features to give you peace of mind — even when the unexpected happens.
- Inexpensive professional monitoring
- Wireless equipment
- Cellular monitoring
- Mobile alerts not available in the basic monitoring plan
- No selection of smart home devices
- Smart home capabilities not available in the basic monitoring plan
- Best pet-friendly home security
Our Take on Frontpoint Home Security
- No lengthy contracts
- Excellent customer service
- Variety of equipment to choose from
- Monitoring fees are relatively expensive
- Short trial period (30 days)
- No professional installation option
Best Home Security Systems of 2020
*Website lists “free installation and equipment,” which usually indicates a mandatory long-term contract.
Other Local Home Security Providers for Tacoma
If you prefer to shop local for your home security, check out these home security providers headquartered in the Tacoma area.
- Security Lock, Safe, & Alarm: If you want to learn more about home security devices and monitoring options before you buy, you can actually visit the Security Lock, Safe, & Alarm storefront on Sixth Avenue in downtown Tacoma.
- Secure Pacific Corp: Secure Pacific uses video verification technology to instantly send you video footage from any camera near a tripped sensor so you can see what’s happening during an alarm event.
- NW Security & Automation: Founded in 2006, NW Security & Automation specializes in security and automation technology for homes and businesses throughout the Puget Sound area.
- Guardian Security: Guardian Security uses nationally recognized brands Alarm.com and Qolsys to power its home security systems and home automation devices.
Surrounding Areas for Tacoma
Tacoma home security providers also provide service to the following Tacoma areas:
- Federal Way, Washington
- Puyallup, Washington
- Lakewood, Washington
- Spanaway, Washington
- South Hill, Washington
- Graham, Washington
- Fort Lewis, Washington
- Gig Harbor, Washington
Common Home Security Equipment and Features
As one of the sentinels in your home, the motion sensor captures unusual activity, and your system lets you know. Some providers have motion sensors that are designed to be pet-friendly, avoiding pets under 80 pounds to help prevent false alarms. Learn more about motion sensors here in our post.
Door/window sensors are sentinels for your entry points. Most have a discreet profile so they’re not easily seen, but once an entry point is breached, your control panel sounds an alarm to let the intruder know they’ve been caught. Learn more about the door/window sensors offered by Frontpoint, Protect America, and SimpliSafe.
Indoor security camera
If you want to be able to monitor the interior of your home, communicate with family members, and check in on pets, then choosing an indoor security camera is a great option. Most indoor cameras feature HD video, come with night vision, and have two-way communication. Learn more about indoor security camera options offered by SimpliSafe, Vivint, and Abode.
Outdoor security camera
With a smart thermostat, you can potentially improve your home’s energy efficiency. Most smart thermostats allow you to program them, creating a schedule for when your home’s heating and cooling system turns on. Some will also automatically adjust themselves based on certain conditions. Learn more about the smart thermostats offered by Vivint, Frontpoint, and ADT.
Go keyless with a smart lock, designed so you can easily lock or unlock your door via app. Some smart locks have a keycode feature, allowing you to set unique PINs for family members and or professionals who may need to access your home. Learn more about the smart locks offered by Guardian Protection, Protect America, and Scout.
Can’t decide? Compare top providers side-by-side: ADT vs. SimpliSafe, Vivint vs. Frontpoint, and more.
Frequently Asked Questions for Tacoma
With a large population of “young, single, upwardly mobile professionals,” it’s important for Tacoma home security systems to be mobile as well. Consider purchasing a contract-free wireless DIY system that you can take with you when you move.
Local security providers usually require a contract. SimpliSafe, Blue by ADT, Frontpoint and Cove have contract-free options for Tacoma residents, but keep in mind that each requires that you pay for your equipment up front.
Local Tacoma home security companies Protec, Guardian Security, NW Security & Automation, Secure Pacific and Security, Lock, Safe & Alarm all offer cameras. National companies such as ADT and Nest also offer quality camera options with their home security systems in Tacoma.