Home Security in Greenville, SC
Known for its historic textile industry and business community, Greenville is a great place to live and work. With nature trails, the Greenville Zoo and several water parks, Greenville has plenty to see and do for families and tourists. The U.S. Census lists the population of Greenville as just over 70,000 people. Despite the relatively low population, it’s the sixth-largest community in South Carolina. If you live in Greenville — or you’re thinking of moving there — and want to know how to protect your home, we will be sharing some of the best home security providers below.
Compare Top Home Security Providers
Pro. monitoring starts at
|Professional||Professional||Professional||DIY or Professional||DIY|
|36 months||N/A||42-60 mos. or pay for equipment in full||None||None|
Smart home compatibility
|Option to extend limited warranty||Full equipment and labor warranty||120-day equipment warranty||3-year limited equipment warranty||3-year limited equipment warranty|
Greenville Crime Statistics
According to the FBI’s 2018 report in crime in the U.S, there were 2,810 reports of property crime overall in Greenville that year. Data from Neighborhood Scout indicates that Greenville residents have a 1 in 23 chance of becoming a victim of property crime. This is slightly higher than the 1 in 33 chance seen across the rest of the state of South Carolina. Per 1,000 people, there is an average of 33.85 reports of theft and 5.91 of burglary. Across the rest of the U.S., the theft rate per 1,000 people is 15.95 and the rate for burglary is 3.76, which shows that Greenville has slightly higher than the national average for property crime reports. Here is a breakdown of the main offenses reported in Greenville:
- 2,163 incidents of larceny-theft
- 403 incidents of burglary
- 230 incidents of motor vehicle theft
- 74 incidents of robbery
- 258 incidents of aggravated assault
Greenville Spotlight: Sonitrol Security Systems
Sonitrol Security Systems is a home security provider, currently serving South Carolina residents. Operating since 1978, Sonitrol protects homes and businesses with a combination of security technology and monitoring services. Sonitrol Security offers a customizable and affordable security solution for your home. Providing personalized service, the company takes the time to create a solution that fits your needs, budget and lifestyle.
With the latest security equipment, Sonitrol provides a professional installation as well as ongoing monitoring to ensure you are fully protected. The equipment provided includes state-of-the-art audio detection systems, motion detection, access control and video surveillance. Sonitrol’s security systems can also protect your home from carbon monoxide, fires and utility issues. This technology can even help you reduce your energy consumption. If you already have a security system in place and are looking to switch over, Sonitrol can often provide monitoring for your existing equipment.
- Local SC Provider
Sonitrol Security SystemsBBB ratingA+Starting at$$49/mo
Sonitrol Security Systems offer a fully customizable home security solution to fit your needs. With modern technology, professional monitoring and dedicated safety managers, your home will be fully protected.
- Dedicated life safety managers to provide support
- Monitoring can be provided through existing security equipment in some cases
- Free security inspections after burglary attempts
- No monitoring pricing information online
- No package information available
- No equipment pricing online
- Best Home Security for Industry Experience
Our Take on ADT Home Security
ADT’s a well-recognized name in the home security industry. It offers traditional security that requires professional installation and monitoring at a steep price.
★ Recommended Plan
- 6-month money-back guarantee
- $500 theft protection guarantee
- High-quality equipment
- Must pay for an extended warranty
- Lengthy contracts
- More expensive than competitors
- Best Smart Home Security
Our Take on Vivint Home Security
Vivint has an extensive line of smart security equipment that you can expand over time. The downside is that you’ll have a long-term contract if you finance your equipment.
★ Recommended Plan
Vivint’s Smart Home Service is our recommended plan because it unlocks a larger selection of smart home devices, as well as video monitoring.
- Month-to-month contract option if equipment is purchased upfront
- Backup battery included with the Sky Control panel
- Extensive equipment features, including Vivint Car Guard
- Long contract if equipment is financed
- Installation can take 3-4 hours
- Short (120-day) equipment warranty and service guarantee (unless you purchase Premium)
- Best Overall DIY Security System
SimpliSafe Home SecurityOur rating9.9Starting at$19.99/mo
Our Take on SimpliSafe Home Security
SimpliSafe is our top pick for inexpensive monitoring, durable equipment and reliable services that simplify home security. You’ll have all the right devices and features to give you peace of mind — even when the unexpected happens.
★ Recommended Package
- Inexpensive professional monitoring
- Wireless equipment
- Cellular monitoring
- Mobile alerts not available in the basic monitoring plan
- No selection of smart home devices
- Smart home capabilities not available in basic monitoring plan
- Best Pet-Friendly Home Security
Our Take on Frontpoint Home Security
Frontpoint lets you choose both your package and monitoring plan to help build the perfect home security system for renters and homeowners alike. Monitoring can be costly, but free DIY installation helps lower costs without reducing reliability or protection.
★ Recommended Plan
Our recommended Frontpoint plan is the Safe Home Starter equipment package combined with the Ultimate monitoring plan, which will give you access to a smartphone app for monitoring your security devices.
- No lengthy contracts
- Excellent customer service
- Variety of equipment to choose from
- Monitoring fees are relatively expensive
- Short (30 days) trial period
- No professional installation option
Best Home Security Systems of 2020
Additional Local Home Security Providers for Greenville
If you are looking for local home security providers, here are some alternative choices for Greenville:
- Greenville Home Security Pros: Greenville Home Security Pros provides full home automation and smart technology systems.
- ProTec Security Systems: With 24/7 monitoring, customizable plans and a choice of security equipment, ProTec will keep you fully protected.
- OnPoint Security and Video: OnPoint offers security technology including home automation and video surveillance for competitive prices.
- Autech: Powered by Honeywell security equipment, Autech provides professional installation and maintenance for home security systems.
Surrounding Areas For Durham
Home security providers in Greenville may also service the following Greenville neighborhoods:
- Taylors, South Carolina
- Mauldin, South Carolina
- Travelers Rest, South Carolina
- Greer, South Carolina
- Simpsonville, South Carolina
- Fountain Inn, South Carolina
- Easley, South Carolina
- Five Forks, South Carolina
- Clemson, South Carolina
- Wade Hampton, South Carolina
- Powdersville, South Carolina
Common Home Security Equipment and Features
As one of the sentinels in your home, the motion sensor captures unusual activity, and your system lets you know. Some providers have motion sensors that are designed to be pet-friendly, avoiding pets under 80 pounds to help prevent false alarms. Learn more about motion sensors here in our post.
Door/window sensors are sentinels for your entry points. Most have a discreet profile so they’re not easily seen, but once an entry point is breached, your control panel sounds an alarm to let the intruder know they’ve been caught. Learn more about the door/window sensors offered by Frontpoint, Protect America, and SimpliSafe.
Indoor security camera
If you want to be able to monitor the interior of your home, communicate with family members, and check in on pets, then choosing an indoor security camera is a great option. Most indoor cameras feature HD video, come with night vision, and have two-way communication. Learn more about indoor security camera options offered by SimpliSafe, Vivint, and Abode.
Outdoor security camera
With a smart thermostat, you can potentially improve your home’s energy efficiency. Most smart thermostats allow you to program them, creating a schedule for when your home’s heating and cooling system turns on. Some will also automatically adjust themselves based on certain conditions. Learn more about the smart thermostats offered by Vivint, Frontpoint, and ADT.
Go keyless with a smart lock, designed so you can easily lock or unlock your door via app. Some smart locks have a keycode feature, allowing you to set unique PINs for family members and or professionals who may need to access your home. Learn more about the smart locks offered by Guardian Protection, Protect America, and Scout.
Can’t decide? Compare top providers side-by-side: ADT vs. SimpliSafe, Vivint vs. Frontpoint, and more.
Frequently Asked Questions for Greenville
The majority of modern security providers offer some kind of smart home integration. Autech, OnPoint and Greenville Home Security Pros offer a range of these products, which can all be controlled via smartphone.
Video surveillance is a security option that most providers offer. Sonitrol, OnPoint Security and Autech are all local providers that offer video surveillance. However, this usually comes with additional costs. For example, Frontpoint offers cameras only as add-ons.