Compare Top Providers
Pro. monitoring starts at
|Professional||Professional||Professional||DIY or Professional||DIY|
|36 months||36 months||42-60 mos. or pay for equipment in full||None||None|
Smart home compatibility
|Option to extend limited warranty||N/A||120-day equipment warranty||3-year limited equipment warranty||3-year limited equipment warranty|
Home Security in Dayton, OH
Dayton may be most famously known for being the birthplace of Orville Wright and, as such, the city has long been associated with aviation. With just over 140,000 residents, Dayton is nevertheless home to a wealth of aeronautics history and research. It’s home to the Wright-Patterson Air Force Base and the National Museum of the United States Air Force, as well as many other aviation-related attractions. If you’re considering a move to Dayton, are already on your way, or if you already live in the area, you may want to explore your home security options. We’ll feature a few of the area’s best home security providers to help you narrow your search down and make your final choice.
Dayton Crime Statistics
The 2018 FBI Crime Report for Ohio states that Dayton had almost 4,000 larceny-thefts, with over 1,600 burglaries, nearly 800 motor vehicle thefts, almost 700 aggravated assaults and just over 400 robberies. Dayton rates low on the crime index, rating a three, meaning it’s safer than only 3% of U.S. cities. Here are the totals from the FBI report:
- 3,831 incidents of larceny-theft
- 1,697 incidents of burglary
- 795 incidents of motor vehicle theft
- 684 incidents of aggravated assault
- 403 incidents of robbery
Local Spotlight: Protector Home Security — Local Security Provider Spotlight: CPI Security Systems — Local Security Provider
Protector Home Security has served the Dayton area for over 20 years, providing home security systems and professional monitoring at its UL-listed, CSAA Five Diamond central station. The company promises no rate increases, which means you can lock in a predictable rate for years to come.
Professional monitoring with Protector starts at $26.95 per month when paid annually, with a 36-month commitment. The basic package includes three door contacts, a motion detector, a control panel, installation and ongoing maintenance and repairs. A wide variety of additional equipment add-ons are available, including medical alert buttons and environmental detection.
- Regional OH Provider
Protector Home SecurityBBB ratingNRStarting at$$26.95/mo./mo
Protector Home Security is one of Dayton’s biggest providers of home security solutions. Professional installation and maintenance come at no extra cost, and the company offers plenty of add-on functionality such as security cameras and carbon monoxide monitoring.
- Battery backup
- Free professional installation
- No upfront equipment cost
- No home automation options
- Monitoring costs more without landline
- 36-month contract required
- Best Home Security for Industry Experience
Our Take on ADT Home Security
ADT’s a well-recognized name in the home security industry. It offers traditional security that requires professional installation and monitoring at a steep price.
★ Recommended Plan
- 6-month money-back guarantee
- $500 theft protection guarantee
- High-quality equipment
- Must pay for an extended warranty
- Lengthy contracts
- More expensive than competitors
- Best Smart Home Security
Our Take on Vivint Home Security
Vivint has an extensive line of smart security equipment that you can expand over time. The downside is that you’ll have a long-term contract if you finance your equipment.
★ Recommended Plan
Vivint’s Smart Home Service is our recommended plan because it unlocks a larger selection of smart home devices, as well as video monitoring.
- Month-to-month contract option if equipment is purchased upfront
- Backup battery included with the Sky Control panel
- Extensive equipment features, including Vivint Car Guard
- Long contract if equipment is financed
- Installation can take 3-4 hours
- Short (120-day) equipment warranty and service guarantee (unless you purchase Premium)
- Best Overall DIY Security System
SimpliSafe Home SecurityOur rating9.9Starting at$19.99/mo
Our Take on SimpliSafe Home Security
SimpliSafe is our top pick for inexpensive monitoring, durable equipment and reliable services that simplify home security. You’ll have all the right devices and features to give you peace of mind — even when the unexpected happens.
★ Recommended Package
- Inexpensive professional monitoring
- Wireless equipment
- Cellular monitoring
- Mobile alerts not available in the basic monitoring plan
- No selection of smart home devices
- Smart home capabilities not available in basic monitoring plan
- Best Pet-Friendly Home Security
Our Take on Frontpoint Home Security
Frontpoint lets you choose both your package and monitoring plan to help build the perfect home security system for renters and homeowners alike. Monitoring can be costly, but free DIY installation helps lower costs without reducing reliability or protection.
★ Recommended Plan
Our recommended Frontpoint plan is the Safe Home Starter equipment package combined with the Ultimate monitoring plan, which will give you access to a smartphone app for monitoring your security devices.
- No lengthy contracts
- Excellent customer service
- Variety of equipment to choose from
- Monitoring fees are relatively expensive
- Short (30 days) trial period
- No professional installation option
Best Home Security Systems of 2020
Additional Local Home Security Providers for Dayton
If you’re looking for a few other local and regional options in Dayton, here are a few home security providers to check out:
- State Alarm: Serving both Ohio and Florida, State Alarm offers a full spectrum of services including professional monitoring, motion detectors, home automation and more.
- A&B Security Solutions: A&B Security’s founder has more than 15 years in the security industry, and the company offers home security, custom systems and a 100% money-back guarantee on all work.
- Moonlight Security: Home security is one of many security services this company provides regionally around Ohio, Indiana and Kentucky.
- 360 Home Security: Based in Dayton since 1995, 360 Home Security emphasizes state-of-the-art home security equipment and systems.
Surrounding Areas For Dayton
Home security providers in Dayton serve Dayton and surrounding towns and suburbs, including but not limited to:
- Beavercreek, Ohio
- Centerville, Ohio
- Clayton, Ohio
- Englewood, Ohio
- Fairborn, Ohio
- Huber Heights, Ohio
- Kettering, Ohio
- Miamisburg, Ohio
- Riverside, Ohio
- Springboro, Ohio
- Tipp City, Ohio
- Trotwood, Ohio
- Vandalia, Ohio
- West Carrollton City, Ohio
- Xenia, Ohio
Common Home Security Equipment and Features
As one of the sentinels in your home, the motion sensor captures unusual activity, and your system lets you know. Some providers have motion sensors that are designed to be pet-friendly, avoiding pets under 80 pounds to help prevent false alarms. Learn more about motion sensors here in our post.
Door/window sensors are sentinels for your entry points. Most have a discreet profile so they’re not easily seen, but once an entry point is breached, your control panel sounds an alarm to let the intruder know they’ve been caught. Learn more about the door/window sensors offered by Frontpoint, Protect America, and SimpliSafe.
Indoor security camera
If you want to be able to monitor the interior of your home, communicate with family members, and check in on pets, then choosing an indoor security camera is a great option. Most indoor cameras feature HD video, come with night vision, and have two-way communication. Learn more about indoor security camera options offered by SimpliSafe, Vivint, and Abode.
Outdoor security camera
With a smart thermostat, you can potentially improve your home’s energy efficiency. Most smart thermostats allow you to program them, creating a schedule for when your home’s heating and cooling system turns on. Some will also automatically adjust themselves based on certain conditions. Learn more about the smart thermostats offered by Vivint, Frontpoint, and ADT.
Go keyless with a smart lock, designed so you can easily lock or unlock your door via app. Some smart locks have a keycode feature, allowing you to set unique PINs for family members and or professionals who may need to access your home. Learn more about the smart locks offered by Guardian Protection, Protect America, and Scout.
Can’t decide? Compare top providers side-by-side: ADT vs. SimpliSafe, Vivint vs. Frontpoint, and more.
Frequently Asked Questions for Dayton
Larceny-theft and burglary are Datyon’s most common crimes, so look for a security system with good entry detection and professional monitoring at least, with security cameras as a bonus to help prevent motor vehicle theft.
Protector Home Security, State Alarm, A&B Security Systems, Moonlight Security and 360 Home Security all specialize in professional installations.
State Alarm specializes in high-efficiency home automation, which helps you turn your home into a smart, green home.