Compare Top Providers
Shield Security Systems
Pro. monitoring starts at
|Professional||DIY or Professional||Professional||DIY or Professional||DIY|
|36 months||N/A||42-60 mos. or pay for equipment in full||None||None|
Smart home compatibility
|Option to extend limited warranty||N/A||120-day equipment warranty||3-year limited equipment warranty||3-year limited equipment warranty|
Home Security in Allentown
Located in the Lehigh Valley, Allentown started as a Pennsylvania farmers’ market town in 1762. The Allentown Farmers’ Market continues even today, but the rest of the city has expanded to include popular attractions such as Dorney Park & Wildwater Kingdom, the Allentown Art Museum of the Lehigh Valley and the PPL Center, where the Lehigh Valley Phantoms play hockey. The DaVinci Science Center is a popular destination for budding scientists, and an exact replica of the famous Liberty Bell resides in the Liberty Bell Museum.
Allentown is also known for having more land dedicated to parks than any other city of the same size in the country. Parks include Cedar Beach Park, Trexler Memorial Park, Canal Park and many more. The area around Allentown is well known for its scenic covered bridges, like Bogert’s Covered Bridge and the Manasses Guth Covered Bridge. We might not know much about covered bridges, but we can help you safely cover your home with a home security system that’s right for Allentown.
Allentown Crime Statistics
According to Neighborhood Scout, your chances of becoming a victim of violent crime in Allentown are about the same as they are for the rest of the state of Pennsylvania, but your chances of becoming a victim of property crime are higher in Allentown compared to the rest of the state. You’re also slightly more likely to become a victim of theft or burglary compared to other locations in the U.S. In Allentown in 2018, the FBI reported:
- 2,100 incidents of larceny-theft
- 463 incidents of burglary
- 169 incidents of aggravated assault
- 258 incidents of motor vehicle theft
- 183 incidents of robbery
Local Spotlight: Shield Security Systems — Local Security Provider
Shield Security Systems was founded over 40 years ago by veteran police officer Ken Jezioro after his home was burglarized. The company serves the Lehigh Valley area of Pennsylvania, and it gets an A+ rating from the Better Business Bureau. Shield offers both professional installation and a DIY option with pre-programmed equipment and no mandatory contracts.
Shield offers three different monitoring plans starting at $21.95 per month for the Basic Plan. The Basic Plan includes 24/7 monitoring for your burglar alarm, smoke alarm, flood and freeze sensors and medical alert systems. The Premium Plan is $39.95 a month and includes everything in the Basic Plan plus a fully cellular connection, crash and smash protection, email and text alerts and app control. The Advanced Plan adds in video monitoring and home automation for $49.95 a month. Shield’s website says “No long term contracts,” so you’ll probably have to pay for your equipment up front, but equipment prices aren’t listed on the website.
- Regional PA Provider
Shield Security SystemsBBB ratingA+Starting at$$21.95/mo./mo
Founded more than 40 years ago by a veteran police officer, Shield Security Systems offers flexible options such as professional and DIY installation, and contract-free home security systems for the Lehigh Valley area. Its higher-tier plans include mobile app access and video monitoring.
- No mandatory contract
- DIY installation option
- Low starting price for monitoring
- No equipment pricing online
- No app access in Basic Plan
- No cellular connection in Basic Plan
- Best home security for industry experience
Our Take on ADT Home Security
- 6-month money-back guarantee
- $500 theft protection guarantee
- High-quality equipment
- Must pay for an extended warranty
- Lengthy contracts
- More expensive than competitors
- Best smart home security
Our Take on Vivint Home Security
Vivint is our top choice for smart home security with an extensive line of equipment filled with smart features. The control panel also doubles as a smart hub. The only downside is that Vivint requires a long-term contract if you finance the equipment. Professional monitoring and installation are also required.
- Smart Hub to connect and control smart home and security devices
- Extensive smart features for security equipment including package detection and Smart Deter
- Wide range of security and smart home equipment
- Contract required for service and financed equipment.
- Professional monitoring and installation required
- Expensive equipment compared to other providers
- Best overall DIY security system
SimpliSafe Home SecurityOur rating9.9Starting at$14.99/mo
Our take on SimpliSafe Home Security:
SimpliSafe Home Security is our top pick for inexpensive monitoring, durable equipment, and reliable services that simplify home security. You’ll have all the right devices and features to give you peace of mind — even when the unexpected happens.
- Inexpensive professional monitoring
- Wireless equipment
- Cellular monitoring
- Mobile alerts not available in the basic monitoring plan
- No selection of smart home devices
- Smart home capabilities not available in the basic monitoring plan
- Best pet-friendly home security
Our Take on Frontpoint Home Security
- No lengthy contracts
- Excellent customer service
- Variety of equipment to choose from
- Monitoring fees are relatively expensive
- Short trial period (30 days)
- No professional installation option
Best Home Security Systems of 2020
Additional Local Home Security Providers for Allentown
If you prefer to shop where you live, the Allentown area has a good selection of local home security providers.
- Protect Alarms: Protect Alarms was founded in 1963 in the Lehigh Valley and has its own UL-listed Central Station for monitoring.
- Monks Security Systems Inc.: Monks can cover your home security needs along with medical monitoring, intercom systems and central vacuums.
- Altronics Security Systems: If you’re looking to combine home security with home automation, Altronics specializes in smart home systems that include environmental monitoring and mobile app control.
- Secure Technologies Inc.: Secure Technologies works with you to put together a custom home security package that fits your home and your lifestyle, with the goal of making it easy and convenient for you to use.
Surrounding Areas For Allentown
Allentown home security providers also provide service to the following Allentown areas:
- Bethlehem, Pennsylvania
- Catasaqua, Pennsylvania
- Wydnor, Pennsylvania
- Lanark, Pennsylvania
- Emmaus, Pennsylvania
- Wescosville, Pennsylvania
- New Tripoli, Pennsylvania
- Northampton, Pennsylvania
Common Home Security Equipment and Features
As one of the sentinels in your home, the motion sensor captures unusual activity, and your system lets you know. Some providers have motion sensors that are designed to be pet-friendly, avoiding pets under 80 pounds to help prevent false alarms. Learn more about motion sensors here in our post.
Door/window sensors are sentinels for your entry points. Most have a discreet profile so they’re not easily seen, but once an entry point is breached, your control panel sounds an alarm to let the intruder know they’ve been caught. Learn more about the door/window sensors offered by Frontpoint, Protect America, and SimpliSafe.
Indoor security camera
If you want to be able to monitor the interior of your home, communicate with family members, and check in on pets, then choosing an indoor security camera is a great option. Most indoor cameras feature HD video, come with night vision, and have two-way communication. Learn more about indoor security camera options offered by SimpliSafe, Vivint, and Abode.
Outdoor security camera
With a smart thermostat, you can potentially improve your home’s energy efficiency. Most smart thermostats allow you to program them, creating a schedule for when your home’s heating and cooling system turns on. Some will also automatically adjust themselves based on certain conditions. Learn more about the smart thermostats offered by Vivint, Frontpoint, and ADT.
Go keyless with a smart lock, designed so you can easily lock or unlock your door via app. Some smart locks have a keycode feature, allowing you to set unique PINs for family members and or professionals who may need to access your home. Learn more about the smart locks offered by Guardian Protection, Protect America, and Scout.
Can’t decide? Compare top providers side-by-side: ADT vs. SimpliSafe, Vivint vs. Frontpoint, and more.
Frequently Asked Questions for Allentown
With higher rates of theft, burglary, and property crime overall, Allentown residents should be using home security cameras to get extra eyes on their property. The presence of security cameras can deter crime, and built-in motion sensors can trigger recording so you can catch burglars in the act.
Shield Security, Protect Alarms and Altronics Security Systems all offer home security cameras to Allentown residents. National brands SimpliSafe and ADT are also good options for home security systems with video surveillance.
Allentown renters will benefit from DIY, no-contract home security systems such as those offered by Shield Security and SimpliSafe. You won’t be locked into a long-term agreement and you can take your system with you when you move.
Allentown’s top DIY installation options for home security are Shield Security, SimpliSafe and Blue by ADT. Each company offers pre-programmed devices and full customer support.
Most of the local Allentown companies we researched didn’t have contract information on their websites, but Shield Security specifies “no long term contracts” and national brands SimpliSafe, Blue by ADT, Frontpoint and Cove also offer contract-free options for Allentown residents.