Home Security in Riverside
Situated 55 miles east of downtown Los Angeles, Riverside, CA, is the largest city in the Inland Empire region of California and 12th most populous city in the state. Home to the University of California, Riverside and the Mission Inn Museum (the largest Mission Revival building in the country), Riverside is considered the birthplace of the citrus industry in California. Riverside also calls itself the “indie filmmaking capital of the world” and many Hollywood productions have shot there.
Whether you’re getting ready to move to Riverside or you’re already a resident and home security is on your mind, we’ve gathered the details on a few of this city’s top security providers. Read on for help choosing the right company for you.
Riverside Crime Statistics
Larceny-theft was the most reported crime in Riverside in 2018, according to the 2018 FBI Crime Report. There were nearly 7,000 incidents of larceny-theft, almost 2,000 car thefts, over 1,400 burglaries, close to a thousand aggravated assaults, and almost 600 robberies. According to Neighborhood Scout, residents of Riverside are 33% more likely to experience property crime than the average California resident.
- 6,911 incidents of larceny-theft
- 1,845 incidents of motor vehicle theft
- 1,470 incidents of burglary
- 979 incidents of aggravated assault
- 543 incidents of robbery
Local Spotlight: Safe-T Security — Local Security Provider
Safe-T Security is a family-owned Southern California company providing full-service home security and audio/video solutions since 1985. This company prides itself on “unparalleled” customer service and highly trained consultants and technicians, offering 24/7 professional monitoring and affiliations with Alarm.com and Control 4. In addition, it offers Spanish-speaking technicians and monitors.
Safe-T Security professional monitoring starts at $13.95 per month with no long-term contracts and a free consultation. Equipment packages start at $429 with a wide array of available add-ons such as carbon monoxide detectors, panic buttons and cameras.
- Local CA Provider
Safe-T SecurityBBB ratingA+Starting at$13.95/mo
Safe-T security has a long history and a lot of in-house experience in home security. With professional monitoring as low as $13.95 per month and a good selection of equipment add-ons, Safe-T is a solid choice for those looking for an affordable, solid security solution.
- Month-to-month contract
- Affordable monitoring
- Cellular backup
- Lowest monitoring price requires phone line
- Basic equipment package limited
- Not many consumer reviews available
- Best Home Security for Industry Experience
Our Take on ADT Home Security
ADT’s a well-recognized name in the home security industry. It offers traditional security that requires professional installation and monitoring at a steep price.
★ Recommended Plan
- 6-month money-back guarantee
- $500 theft protection guarantee
- High-quality equipment
- Must pay for an extended warranty
- Lengthy contracts
- More expensive than competitors
- Best Smart Home Security
Our Take on Vivint Home Security
Vivint has an extensive line of smart security equipment that you can expand over time. The downside is that you’ll have a long-term contract if you finance your equipment.
★ Recommended Plan
Vivint’s Smart Home Service is our recommended plan because it unlocks a larger selection of smart home devices, as well as video monitoring.
- Month-to-month contract option if equipment is purchased upfront
- Backup battery included with the Sky Control panel
- Extensive equipment features, including Vivint Car Guard
- Long contract if equipment is financed
- Installation can take 3-4 hours
- Short (120-day) equipment warranty and service guarantee (unless you purchase Premium)
- Best Overall DIY Security System
SimpliSafe Home SecurityOur rating9.9Starting at$19.99/mo
Our Take on SimpliSafe Home Security
SimpliSafe is our top pick for inexpensive monitoring, durable equipment and reliable services that simplify home security. You’ll have all the right devices and features to give you peace of mind — even when the unexpected happens.
★ Recommended Package
- Inexpensive professional monitoring
- Wireless equipment
- Cellular monitoring
- Mobile alerts not available in the basic monitoring plan
- No selection of smart home devices
- Smart home capabilities not available in basic monitoring plan
- Best Pet-Friendly Home Security
Our Take on Frontpoint Home Security
Frontpoint lets you choose both your package and monitoring plan to help build the perfect home security system for renters and homeowners alike. Monitoring can be costly, but free DIY installation helps lower costs without reducing reliability or protection.
★ Recommended Plan
Our recommended Frontpoint plan is the Safe Home Starter equipment package combined with the Ultimate monitoring plan, which will give you access to a smartphone app for monitoring your security devices.
- No lengthy contracts
- Excellent customer service
- Variety of equipment to choose from
- Monitoring fees are relatively expensive
- Short (30 days) trial period
- No professional installation option
Best Home Security Systems of 2020
Additional Local Home Security Providers for Riverside
Some of Riverside’s best home security options include:
- Vive Home Inc.: A local Riverside provider, Vive offers equipment and monitoring packages that are all wireless and controlled via touch panels.
- AVS Systems: Also based in Riverside, AVS has been in business for over 20 years, providing complete home security and audio/video services.
- Best Alarm: Serving Riverside and several surrounding areas, Best Alarm offers burglary, fire and life protection to area residents.
- Bay Alarm: Although local to California, Bay Alarm is the nation’s largest independent home alarm company, serving local area residents for seven decades.
Surrounding Areas for Riverside
Home security providers in and around Riverside also serve surrounding communities, including:
- Bloomington, CA
- Colton, CA
- Corona, CA
- Fontana, CA
- Glen Avon, CA
- Grand Terrace, CA
- Loma Linda, CA
- Mira Loma, CA
- Moreno Valley, CA
- Norco, CA
- Pedley, CA
- Redlands, CA
- Rialto, CA
- Rubidoux, CA
- San Bernardino, CA
Common Home Security Equipment and Features
As one of the sentinels in your home, the motion sensor captures unusual activity, and your system lets you know. Some providers have motion sensors that are designed to be pet-friendly, avoiding pets under 80 pounds to help prevent false alarms. Learn more about motion sensors here in our post.
Door/window sensors are sentinels for your entry points. Most have a discreet profile so they’re not easily seen, but once an entry point is breached, your control panel sounds an alarm to let the intruder know they’ve been caught. Learn more about the door/window sensors offered by Frontpoint, Protect America, and SimpliSafe.
Indoor security camera
If you want to be able to monitor the interior of your home, communicate with family members, and check in on pets, then choosing an indoor security camera is a great option. Most indoor cameras feature HD video, come with night vision, and have two-way communication. Learn more about indoor security camera options offered by SimpliSafe, Vivint, and Abode.
Outdoor security camera
With a smart thermostat, you can potentially improve your home’s energy efficiency. Most smart thermostats allow you to program them, creating a schedule for when your home’s heating and cooling system turns on. Some will also automatically adjust themselves based on certain conditions. Learn more about the smart thermostats offered by Vivint, Frontpoint, and ADT.
Go keyless with a smart lock, designed so you can easily lock or unlock your door via app. Some smart locks have a keycode feature, allowing you to set unique PINs for family members and or professionals who may need to access your home. Learn more about the smart locks offered by Guardian Protection, Protect America, and Scout.
Can’t decide? Compare top providers side-by-side: ADT vs. SimpliSafe, Vivint vs. Frontpoint, and more.
Frequently Asked Questions for Riverside
Since larceny and motor vehicle theft are the most common crimes in Riverside, a good entry detection system and outdoor cameras may be important for you if you live in this area.
Most local Riverside providers provide some kind of camera option, including Safe-T Security, AVS Systems and Bay Alarm.
Safe-T, Vive, AVS, Best Alarm and Bay Alarm all offer professional installation, as do many of the top national firms.
Bay Alarm and Vive emphasize a selection of home automation devices, as do many national firms such as Vivint.