Home Security in Lincoln
Known for its thriving business community, university and museums, Lincoln is a great city to live in and visit. With the Lincoln Children’s Zoo and Children’s Museum, it’s a great place for families to call home. With a population of over 289,000, Lincoln is the second-largest city by population in Nebraska. However, a large and growing population typically brings higher crime levels. If you’re looking for more information about home security in Lincoln, we’ll be highlighting some of the top security providers.
Lincoln Crime Statistics
According to Neighborhood Scout, Lincoln residents have a 1 in 34 chance of becoming a victim of property crime, which represents higher likelihood than the state average of 1 in 48. In Lincoln, there’s also a higher rate for burglary reports per 1,000 people. This is 4.14 in 1,000 for Lincoln, compared to just 3.76 in 1,000 across the U.S. A total of 8,307 incidents of property theft were reported according to the FBI’s 2018 crime in the U.S. report. Here is a breakdown of some of the main offenses reported in Lincoln:
- 6,694 incidents of larceny-theft
- 1,182 incidents of burglary
- 162 incidents of robbery
- 431 incidents of motor vehicle theft
- 594 incidents of aggravated assault
Lincoln Spotlight: SEi Security — Local Security Provider
SEi Security was founded in 1969 and provides full home security systems across the Midwest. It specializes in providing fire alarm and home intrusion alarms as well as home automation and monitoring services. SEi has a Five Diamond monitoring center, which provides homes and businesses with 24/7 monitoring for the best protection. SEi knows that different homes will have different needs, and it will work closely with you to create a customized package. Packages could include 24-hour monitoring, burglar alarms, video surveillance or video doorbells, depending on your needs. If you’re looking for a hassle-free way to install a security system, SEi offers a wireless solution, meaning you don’t have to deal with any trailing wires or complicated installation.
With the latest technology, you can easily turn your home into a smart home. This option enables you to have full remote control of your doors, windows, lights and even temperature. Smart home hubs can work in tandem with your security system to ensure that potential intruders are deterred and locks are secured. SEi also provides professional monitoring services, which include 24/7 surveillance and intrusion detection. If the security system senses an intrusion, it will send signals to its local monitoring station.
- Local Midwest Provider
SEi SecurityBBB ratingA+Starting at$26/mo
SEi provides a fully customizable home security system to suit everyone’s needs. It uses modern technology and home automation to fully protect your home with a convenient wireless solution.
- Low monthly cost for monitoring
- Manage your security online or via the app
- A wireless system that is easy to install and more
- Mobile app only available on a higher plan
- Standard monitoring plan requires a landline
- No equipment pricing online
- Best home security for industry experience
Our Take on ADT Home Security
- 6-month money-back guarantee
- $500 theft protection guarantee
- High-quality equipment
- Must pay for an extended warranty
- Lengthy contracts
- More expensive than competitors
- Best smart home security
Our Take on Vivint Home Security
Vivint is our top choice for smart home security with an extensive line of equipment filled with smart features. The control panel also doubles as a smart hub. The only downside is that Vivint requires a long-term contract if you finance the equipment. Professional monitoring and installation are also required.
- Smart Hub to connect and control smart home and security devices
- Extensive smart features for security equipment including package detection and Smart Deter
- Wide range of security and smart home equipment
- Contract required for service and financed equipment.
- Professional monitoring and installation required
- Expensive equipment compared to other providers
- Best overall DIY security system
SimpliSafe Home SecurityOur rating9.9Starting at$14.99/mo
Our take on SimpliSafe Home Security:
SimpliSafe Home Security is our top pick for inexpensive monitoring, durable equipment, and reliable services that simplify home security. You’ll have all the right devices and features to give you peace of mind — even when the unexpected happens.
- Inexpensive professional monitoring
- Wireless equipment
- Cellular monitoring
- Mobile alerts not available in the basic monitoring plan
- No selection of smart home devices
- Smart home capabilities not available in the basic monitoring plan
- Best pet-friendly home security
Our Take on Frontpoint Home Security
- No lengthy contracts
- Excellent customer service
- Variety of equipment to choose from
- Monitoring fees are relatively expensive
- Short trial period (30 days)
- No professional installation option
Best Home Security Systems of 2020
Additional Local Home Security Providers for Lincoln
If you are looking for local home security providers, here are some of the top choices in Lincoln:
- Cornhusker Security Systems: Cornhusker Security offers low-cost security solutions and smart home devices.
- Lincoln American Electronics: LAE specializes in smart home security and uses highly rated equipment from Alarm.com.
- Cutting Edge Security Solutions: Cutting Edge provides personalized security options with camera installation and smart burglar alarms.
- Big Red Alert Inc.: ADT partner Big Red Alert offers full home security packages and trusted, 24/7 monitoring.
Surrounding Areas for Lincoln
Home security companies may also provide security for the following areas around Lincoln:
- Yankee Hill, Nebraska
- Pine Lake, Nebraska
- Belmont, Nebraska
- Bishop Park, Nebraska
- Capitol Beach, Nebraska
- University Place, Nebraska
- Amber Hills, Nebraska
- Taylor Park, Nebraska
- Hartley, Nebraska
- Clinton, Nebraska
Common Home Security Equipment and Features
As one of the sentinels in your home, the motion sensor captures unusual activity, and your system lets you know. Some providers have motion sensors that are designed to be pet-friendly, avoiding pets under 80 pounds to help prevent false alarms. Learn more about motion sensors here in our post.
Door/window sensors are sentinels for your entry points. Most have a discreet profile so they’re not easily seen, but once an entry point is breached, your control panel sounds an alarm to let the intruder know they’ve been caught. Learn more about the door/window sensors offered by Frontpoint, Protect America, and SimpliSafe.
Indoor security camera
If you want to be able to monitor the interior of your home, communicate with family members, and check in on pets, then choosing an indoor security camera is a great option. Most indoor cameras feature HD video, come with night vision, and have two-way communication. Learn more about indoor security camera options offered by SimpliSafe, Vivint, and Abode.
Outdoor security camera
With a smart thermostat, you can potentially improve your home’s energy efficiency. Most smart thermostats allow you to program them, creating a schedule for when your home’s heating and cooling system turns on. Some will also automatically adjust themselves based on certain conditions. Learn more about the smart thermostats offered by Vivint, Frontpoint, and ADT.
Go keyless with a smart lock, designed so you can easily lock or unlock your door via app. Some smart locks have a keycode feature, allowing you to set unique PINs for family members and or professionals who may need to access your home. Learn more about the smart locks offered by Guardian Protection, Protect America, and Scout.
Can’t decide? Compare top providers side-by-side: ADT vs. SimpliSafe, Vivint vs. Frontpoint, and more.
Frequently Asked Questions for Lincoln
With high rates of theft and burglary, it’s important for residents in Lincoln to protect themselves with a home security system. Security options such as burglar alarms, video surveillance or motion sensors will ensure you’re fully protected.
Most local providers offer professional installation in their packages, including SEi, Cornhusker Security Systems, Lincoln American Electronics and Big Red Alert Inc. Companies such as ADT or SEi can install equipment such as motion sensors and video cameras.
Companies such as SEi provide wireless systems that are easy to install and can be taken with you if you move home. This makes them a great solution for renters who want to install home security systems.
Most security companies will require you to sign up for a contract of a year or more. However, that timeline might not be suited to everyone. If you are looking for a more flexible contract, national providers such as Frontpoint offer month-to-month agreements.
Many modern home security providers offer smart home devices including SEi Security, Lincoln American Electronics and Cornhusker. Big names such as ADT and Frontpoint offer smart home devices and allow you to control your system from your smartphone.