Home Security in Grand Rapids, MI
Grand Rapids is Michigan’s second-largest metropolis and sits on the Grand River, just 25 miles east of Lake Michigan. It’s home to over 201,000 residents and with a median income of around $47,000 per year. As one of the best places to see the Great Lakes, Grand Rapids offers beautiful outdoor attractions like beaches and lakeshore family activities such as river rafting and kayaking. Whether you’re looking to secure a new home in Grand Rapids or switch providers for your existing home, you’ll want to do your research. We’ve looked at the best local home security providers in the area to arrive at one pick we think is the best choice.
Compare Top Providers
Pro. monitoring starts at
|Professional||Professional||Professional||DIY or Professional||DIY|
|36 months||36 months||42-60 mos. or pay for equipment in full||None||None|
Smart home compatibility
|Option to extend limited warranty||N/A||120-day equipment warranty||3-year limited equipment warranty||3-year limited equipment warranty|
Grand Rapids, MI Statistics
According to data from the FBI, Grand Rapids saw 3,830 crimes that involved private property in 2018. The majority of these crimes involved larceny-theft. Although your odds of experiencing property crime in Grand Rapids are lower than the U.S. average, they are still higher than the average for the rest of Michigan, according to Neighborhood Scout. Here’s a snapshot of the crimes Grand Rapids reported in 2018:
- 2,881 incidents of larceny-theft
- 848 incidents of aggravated assault
- 679 incidents of burglary
- 319 incidents of robbery
- 270 incidents of motor vehicle theft
Grand Rapids Spotlight: EPS Security — Local Security Provider
Having started in Grand Rapids in 1955, EPS Security is now statewide and has serviced over 30,000 Michigan residents. Monthly monitoring rates are $35 per month for the standard monitoring plan and $43 per month for the monitoring with remote access to your system via the Total Connect app. However, EPS requires you to request a quote before disclosing its equipment pricing.
If you plan on automating your Grand Rapids home, EPS is the way to go. It integrates with Apple HomeKit and Amazon Echo and offers smart devices such as smart lights and smart garage door control. You can also get HD video surveillance set up for your home with DVR storage and remote access to live feeds.
- Local MI Provider
EPS SecurityBBB ratingA+Starting at$35/mo
EPS Security has the most experience and the best reputation in the Grand Rapids area. It offers a wide selection of cutting-edge equipment such as glass break detectors, video doorbells and smart devices, and numerous third-party integrations. EPS ensures your home security system stays online through a secure personal cellular connection with the option for a Wi-Fi connection as a backup. For all these reasons, we think it’s the best local provider option in Grand Rapids.
- Local expertise with 65 years of experience
- Offers smart devices
- Comprehensive equipment and monitoring options
- Home automation and remote access only possible with premium monitoring plan
- 36-month contract required
- Equipment pricing not available online
- Best home security for industry experience
Our Take on ADT Home Security
- 6-month money-back guarantee
- $500 theft protection guarantee
- High-quality equipment
- Must pay for an extended warranty
- Lengthy contracts
- More expensive than competitors
- Best smart home security
Our Take on Vivint Home Security
Vivint is our top choice for smart home security with an extensive line of equipment filled with smart features. The control panel also doubles as a smart hub. The only downside is that Vivint requires a long-term contract if you finance the equipment. Professional monitoring and installation are also required.
- Smart Hub to connect and control smart home and security devices
- Extensive smart features for security equipment including package detection and Smart Deter
- Wide range of security and smart home equipment
- Contract required for service and financed equipment.
- Professional monitoring and installation required
- Expensive equipment compared to other providers
- Best overall DIY security system
SimpliSafe Home SecurityOur rating9.9Starting at$14.99/mo
Our take on SimpliSafe Home Security:
SimpliSafe Home Security is our top pick for inexpensive monitoring, durable equipment, and reliable services that simplify home security. You’ll have all the right devices and features to give you peace of mind — even when the unexpected happens.
- Inexpensive professional monitoring
- Wireless equipment
- Cellular monitoring
- Mobile alerts not available in the basic monitoring plan
- No selection of smart home devices
- Smart home capabilities not available in the basic monitoring plan
- Best pet-friendly home security
Our Take on Frontpoint Home Security
- No lengthy contracts
- Excellent customer service
- Variety of equipment to choose from
- Monitoring fees are relatively expensive
- Short trial period (30 days)
- No professional installation option
Best Home Security Systems of 2020
Other Local Home Security Providers in Grand Rapids
Here are some other home security providers in Grand Rapids to look at:
- Network Fire and Security: This low-cost provider offers fire, security and medical alert monitoring, with a range of equipment and integrations.
- Central Security Alarm Inc: This nearby Lansing-based provider has smart security equipment, including a touch screen control hub, with home automation features and remote access.
- B & E Security Systems: B & E has provided security system monitoring in Michigan for over 20 years, serving Grand Rapids, Lansing and Kalamazoo.
Surrounding Areas For Grand Rapids
Consider providers serving neighboring areas around Grand Rapids, such as:
- Forest Hills, Michigan
- Beechwood, Michigan
- Hudsonville, Michigan
- Jamestown Charter Township, Michigan
- Spring Lake, Michigan
- Crockery Township, Michigan
- Grandville, Michigan
- Walker, Michigan
- Ferrysburg, Michigan
- Lansing, Michigan
- Kalamazoo, Michigan
Common Home Security Equipment and Features
As one of the sentinels in your home, the motion sensor captures unusual activity, and your system lets you know. Some providers have motion sensors that are designed to be pet-friendly, avoiding pets under 80 pounds to help prevent false alarms. Learn more about motion sensors here in our post.
Door/window sensors are sentinels for your entry points. Most have a discreet profile so they’re not easily seen, but once an entry point is breached, your control panel sounds an alarm to let the intruder know they’ve been caught. Learn more about the door/window sensors offered by Frontpoint, Protect America, and SimpliSafe.
Indoor security camera
If you want to be able to monitor the interior of your home, communicate with family members, and check in on pets, then choosing an indoor security camera is a great option. Most indoor cameras feature HD video, come with night vision, and have two-way communication. Learn more about indoor security camera options offered by SimpliSafe, Vivint, and Abode.
Outdoor security camera
With a smart thermostat, you can potentially improve your home’s energy efficiency. Most smart thermostats allow you to program them, creating a schedule for when your home’s heating and cooling system turns on. Some will also automatically adjust themselves based on certain conditions. Learn more about the smart thermostats offered by Vivint, Frontpoint, and ADT.
Go keyless with a smart lock, designed so you can easily lock or unlock your door via app. Some smart locks have a keycode feature, allowing you to set unique PINs for family members and or professionals who may need to access your home. Learn more about the smart locks offered by Guardian Protection, Protect America, and Scout.
Can’t decide? Compare top providers side-by-side: ADT vs. SimpliSafe, Vivint vs. Frontpoint, and more.
Frequently Asked Questions for Grand Rapids
Network Fire and Security has a $15-per-month monitoring plan, which is your cheapest local option [source]. If you go with a national provider, you can find even lower rates, such as Ring Alarm, starting at $10 per month [source].
EPS Security offers one of the most comprehensive security packages for local homeowners in Grand Rapids, including professional monitoring, video surveillance, home automation and more.
EPS Security’s equipment has cellular and Wi-Fi connectivity, so there are no landlines or wiring involved. Wireless equipment means you can re-install it easily in a new home. Since EPS is state-wide, we think it’s the best for renters who may relocate within the duration of their contract.
EPS Security, Network Fire and Security and Central Security Alarm offer security cameras. If you want a security system with smart cameras at the center of it, we suggest looking at the nationwide provider Blue by ADT.
While others offer integration with third-party smart devices, EPS Security is the only local provider offering smart home devices, such as the EPS Smart Lock.