Home Security in Boise
Boise is home to 229,000 residents and the scenic Boise River Greenbelt that runs through the heart of the city — 25 miles of walking trails and wildlife along the river. The Idaho Botanical Garden, featuring 14 different gardens, also makes the city a perfect spot for nature lovers. Whether you’re moving to Boise or have already taken up residence, we’ve done the research to help you determine the safest home security provider in the area.
Boise Crime Statistics
Your chances of becoming a victim of crime in Boise are lower than the national average but still higher than Idaho’s average, according to Neighborhood Scout. Boise experienced 4,627 crimes involving the theft of private property, according to 2018 data from the FBI. The vast majority were larceny-theft crimes, as shown in this breakdown of FBI data:
- 3,725 incidents of larceny-theft
- 638 incidents of burglary
- 410 incidents of aggravated assault
- 264 incidents of motor vehicle theft
- 51 incidents of robbery
Also Read: Safest Cities in Idaho
Boise Spotlight: Valor Home Security — Local Security Provider
We’ve chosen to spotlight Valor Home Security for its local expertise in Boise and affordable rates. It leases you pet-friendly equipment, provides free installation and lets you customize your equipment package. Valor has been around since 2014, and with five short years of business has an A+ rating from the BBB.
Valor Home Security lets you customize your equipment so you can build your own system for your home. The company offers smart locks, smart thermostats and other devices for home automation, and there’s a touch screen control panel with smash and crash protection. We love that 24/7 professional monitoring with Valor starts at a low rate of $29.99 per month. The system is wireless, featuring cellular connectivity instead of a landline. There’s also an app that lets you easily access your system remotely.
- Local ID Provider
Valor Home SecurityBBB ratingA+Starting at$29.99/mo
Valor Home Security offers a price match guarantee, and it’s more transparent about its monitoring rates compared to other local providers in Boise. We like Valor because it offers everything you may need to secure your home, in an affordable package you can customize. There’s no need to buy your equipment because it’s included in your monthly rate, ranging from $29.99 o $47.99
- Touch screen panel with smash and crash protection
- Smart devices and home automation offered
- Affordable pricing
- No DIY installation
- Appointment required
- Not yet BBB accredited
- Best Home Security for Industry Experience
Our Take on ADT Home Security
ADT is one of the most well-known home security providers. You can expect traditional security with professional monitoring and installation. Choose from three packages, but keep in mind that you’ll need to upgrade your package if you want smart home or surveillance features. ADT also requires long-term contracts, but equipment financing is available.
★ Recommended Plan: We recommend the Complete package to give you everything you need from the start. It’s the only plan that includes security essentials, smart home compatibility and surveillance. Professional installation and monitoring are also included. Best of all, you’ll get ADT’s 6-month money-back guarantee and theft protection guarantee.
- 6-month money-back guarantee and theft protection guarantee
- Wide variety of smart home equipment
- Over 140 years of experience with award-winning professional monitoring
- Must upgrade plan for smart home or surveillance features and equipment
- Professional installation and monitoring are required
- Long-term contract required
- Best Smart Home Security
Our Take on Vivint Home Security
If you’re looking for smart home security, Vivint is our top choice. It offers the most extensive line of smart home and security equipment. Its intrusion and environmental equipment are filled with smart features, and the control panel doubles as a smart hub to connect and control your smart home devices. The only downside is that Vivint requires a long-term contract if you finance the equipment. Professional monitoring and installation are also required.
★ Recommended Plan: Vivint offers two packages: Smart Home and Smart Security. We recommend the Smart Home package to give you video monitoring, smart home control, environmental monitoring and the security essentials in one package.
- Smart Hub to connect and control smart home and security devices
- Extensive smart features for security equipment including package detection and Smart Deter
- Wide range of security and smart home equipment
- Contract required for service and financed equipment.
- Professional monitoring and installation required
- Expensive equipment compared to other providers
- Best Overall DIY Security System
SimpliSafe Home SecurityOur rating9.9Starting at$14.99/mo
Our take on SimpliSafe Home Security:
SimpliSafe is our top home security pick because it offers reliable home security equipment at a cheaper price than most competitors. Even though smart home equipment isn’t offered, you’ll have the flexibility to create the system you want within your budget thanks to SimpliSafe’s customizable plans. But keep in mind that you’ll need to pay for equipment upfront because financing isn’t available.
★ Recommended package: The Haven plan offers the best value among SimpliSafe’s offerings. It gives you intrusion and environmental monitoring equipment for less than $500. The package includes security essentials, a smoke detector, a temperature sensor and more. You can add cameras and SimpliSafe’s Video Doorbell Pro for the full SimpliSafe security experience.
- Equipment and monitoring plans are cheaper than competitors
- Optional professional monitoring and installation
- Customizable packages and easy add-ons
- Upfront costs are more expensive than competitors
- No smart home equipment available
- Must upgrade to plan for remote and smart home control
- Best Pet-Friendly Home Security
Our Take on Frontpoint Home Security
Frontpoint is a DIY security option that offers wireless security and smart home equipment. It’s a close runner-up compared to SimpliSafe. You’ll have more surveillance options with two indoor cameras, an outdoor and doorbell camera. Professional monitoring is required and can be costly compared to others, but you can save money with Frontpoint’s easy DIY installation. Mobile app and video surveillance are also included in the cost instead of an extra fee.
★ Recommended Plan: Frontpoint’s Bunker Package is ideal for most homes. It comes with the essentials for intrusion, plus an indoor camera and smoke detector for $634. If you’re debating between the Bunker and Fortress packages, the big difference is that you’ll get more sensors with Fortress — good for larger homes.
- Smart home equipment available
- Financing available to lower upfront cost
- Mobile app and video surveillance included in monitoring cost
- No professional installation option
- Expensive professional monitoring
- Trial period is only 30 days
Best Home Security Systems of 2020
Additional Local Home Security Providers for Boise
Here are some other home security providers in Boise to look at:
- Mountain Alarm monitors your security and fire alarm systems and offers access control, surveillance and home automation capabilities.
- Zenith Home Security provides alarm, surveillance and environmental monitoring and features an app with home automation features and smart notifications.
- Moment serves the local area with security, home automation and surveillance services and offers remote access through its app.
- Sonitrol offers a $10,000 Performance Warranty and False Alarm Fine Guarantee, plus it also serves Washington and Oregon.
- Peak Alarm serves Idaho, Wyoming, Oregon, Nevada and Utah, providing security, fire and medical alarm systems.
Surrounding Areas for Boise
Consider providers serving neighboring areas around Boise, such as:
- Meridian, Idaho
- Eagle, Idaho
- Garden City, Idaho
- Caldwell, Idaho
- Kuna, Idaho
- Mountain Home, Idaho
- Emmett, Idaho
- Nampa, Idaho
Common Home Security Equipment and Features
As one of the sentinels in your home, the motion sensor captures unusual activity, and your system lets you know. Some providers have motion sensors that are designed to be pet-friendly, avoiding pets under 80 pounds to help prevent false alarms. Learn more about motion sensors here in our post.
Door/window sensors are sentinels for your entry points. Most have a discreet profile so they’re not easily seen, but once an entry point is breached, your control panel sounds an alarm to let the intruder know they’ve been caught. Learn more about the door/window sensors offered by Frontpoint, Protect America, and SimpliSafe.
Indoor security camera
If you want to be able to monitor the interior of your home, communicate with family members, and check in on pets, then choosing an indoor security camera is a great option. Most indoor cameras feature HD video, come with night vision, and have two-way communication. Learn more about indoor security camera options offered by SimpliSafe, Vivint, and Abode.
Outdoor security camera
With a smart thermostat, you can potentially improve your home’s energy efficiency. Most smart thermostats allow you to program them, creating a schedule for when your home’s heating and cooling system turns on. Some will also automatically adjust themselves based on certain conditions. Learn more about the smart thermostats offered by Vivint, Frontpoint, and ADT.
Go keyless with a smart lock, designed so you can easily lock or unlock your door via app. Some smart locks have a keycode feature, allowing you to set unique PINs for family members and or professionals who may need to access your home. Learn more about the smart locks offered by Guardian Protection, Protect America, and Scout.
Can’t decide? Compare top providers side-by-side: ADT vs. SimpliSafe, Vivint vs. Frontpoint, and more.
Frequently Asked Questions for Boise
Valor is the least expensive local provider in Boise because you only need to pay one monthly rate for your service plus the equipment you need. National providers such as Blue by ADT offer even lower rates.
Valor would be the best local home security provider for renters because its equipment is wireless, so you can re-install it if you move. Otherwise, month-to-month nationwide providers such as SimpliSafe or Ring are great options.
Valor Home Security, Mountain Alarm, Zenith Home Security, Moment, Sonitrol and Peak Alarm all offer security cameras.
Mountain Alarm and Valor Home Security both offer smart home devices.
Few home security companies offer you the option to finance your security system. However, Google Nest lets you pay for your equipment in installments.