Safety.com’s Top 3 Garage Door Openers
ADT Garage Door Controller
Tailwind Smart Garage Door Opener
MyQ Smart Garage Door Opener
Features to look for when buying a garage door opener
Ever wanted to upgrade your home with a smart garage? Garage door automation gives you advanced capabilities such as opening and closing the door remotely. Most garage controllers today will have the following or similar features to the ones listed below:
- Access through mobile app: Many garage door openers come with mobile app access. This allows you to control your garage door from virtually anywhere–whether you’re home or away at work. If you need to let a family member in the house or receive a package, control of your garage door is at your fingertips.
- Additional sensors: Some garage door openers will come with an additional sensors for monitoring whenever your door is opened or closed. You can also receive alerts to your smartphone if you leave the door open. Some garage door openers come with vehicle sensors that recognize a specific vehicle and trigger the garage door to open as you approach.
- Automatic closing & opening capabilities: You won’t have to turn around to go home and close your garage door or search for your remote when returning home when you have automatic opening and closing capabilities. Some brands have these features for greater convenience beyond remote and smartphone control.
- Voice command functionality: Tell Alexa, Siri, or Google Assistant to open the garage door for you with voice command functionality. This feature offers another way of simplifying the process of opening and closing your garage door. Some brands also include IFTTT (If This Then That) functionality so you can create rules for your garage door controller.
Top 10 Garage Door Openers
Best Controller to Use with Security System
1. ADT Garage Door Controller
The ADT Garage Door Controller keeps your family and home safe with mobile alerts whenever your garage door is opened or closed. You can also open or close it yourself through the ADT mobile app.
Get your ADT Garage Door Controller through a professionally monitored ADT security system.
- Compatible with most popular brands of garage door openers
- Monitor your garage door through your smartphone or other mobile devices
- Set your garage to automatically close whenever your alarm system is set to “Away”
Best Garage Door Opener for Families
2. Tailwind Smart Garage Door Opener
Have your garage door open and close upon your arrival or departure with the Tailwind iQ3 Smart Garage Door Opener. This smart device can detect your vehicle with a sensor and also work with digital assistants like Amazon Alexa and more. Turn on “Night Mode” to ensure your garage door stays shut and secure at night.
- Can detect your vehicle (with a vehicle sensor) and will automatically open or close your garage door
- Works with digital assistants like Amazon Alexa, Google Assistant, Siri Shortcuts and more
- Designed to work with up to 3 garage doors
Best Smart Garage Door Opener
3. MyQ Smart Garage Door Opener
The MyQ Smart Garage Door Opener is easy to install and will alert you through the MyQ app whenever your garage door opens or closes. With this device you can also create daily schedules and set times for closing your garage door, as well as turning on/off your lights.
- Open and close your garage door from anywhere with the MyQ app
- Easy to install in just four steps
- Works with Nest, Google Assistant, IFTTT and Wink for additional functionality
4. Vivint Garage Door Controller
With the Vivint Garage Door Controller, you won’t have to be concerned about forgetting to close the garage door after leaving home. Have remote access to your home from anywhere with the Vivint Smart Home app.
Connect your Vivint garage door opener with other intrusion protection products and a fully monitored Vivint security system.
- Easily accept deliveries by opening your garage door while you’re away
- Remotely access and close your garage door with the Vivint Smart Home app
- Get alerts on your smartphone if your garage door is left open
5. NEXX Garage Door Remote Door
The NEXX Garage Remote Compatible Door Opener allows you to easily open and close your garage while you’re away with the NEXX mobile app. You can monitor activity with real-time activity tracking and allow package deliveries by opening and closing the door.
- Open and close your garage door from anywhere with the Nexx mobile app
- Control your garage door by voice with Amazon Alexa or Google Assistant
- Compatible with most garage door openers
6. Frontpoint Garage Door Controller
Frontpoint’s Garage Door Controller can be paired with an existing automatic garage door opener so you can open and close your garage door from anywhere with the Frontpoint app. Whenever motion is detected near the Frontpoint Hub, you’ll receive an alert to let you know that something is in the way.
Get your Frontpoint Garage Door Controller through a professionally monitored Frontpoint security system.
- Open and close your garage door from anywhere with the Frontpoint mobile app
- Get an audible and visual warning if motion is detected near your panel
- Tilt sensor sends a notification to your panel whenever the garage door is open or closed
7. Gogogate Garage Door Opener
If you have more than one garage door, Gogogate 2 gives you the ability to control up to three garage doors from your smartphone, tablet or PC. If you accidentally leave your garage door open, the device will send alerts, and you can even have Alexa manage your garage door for you.
- Remotely access and control your garage door by smartphone, tablet or PC
- Get alerts whenever your garage door opens, closes and/or is left open
- Control up to three garage doors from a single Gogogate 2 device
8. Genie Aladdin Smart Garage Door Opener
The Genie Aladdin Smart Garage Door Opener brings “magic carpet capability” to your smartphone, allowing you to open and close your garage door remotely. You can also set specific times to open and close your garage door so it’s convenient for heading to work and coming home.
- Remotely access and monitor your garage door by smartphone
- Control up to 3 garage doors with additional door sensors
- Schedule specific times for your garage door to close
9. EACHEN Wireless Smart Home Garage Door Opener
Open and close your garage door by voice command or smartphone with the EACHEN Smart Home Garage Door Opener. Designed to have multiple users, you can set up controls for everyone in the family.
- Open and close your garage door from anywhere by connecting with your Wi-Fi network
- Authorize multiple people to access your garage controls
- Use voice commands through Amazon Alexa or Google Assistant devices
10. meross Smart Garage Door Opener
The meross Smart Garage Door Opener gives you remote access for control by app or voice so you won’t have to sweat forgetting to close your garage door before leaving home. Installation is easy and can be done quickly with adhesive strips for a secure hold.
- Remote access by the meross app and voice control through Amazon Alexa or Google Assistant
- Easy installation without screws
- Compatible for use with most garage door openers
Garage opener FAQs
What is a garage door opener?
Can I get alerts whenever my garage door is opened or closed?
Can a garage door opener enhance my safety?
Benefits of buying a garage opener
Don’t fumble with your keys to open your door – with the touch of a button on your smartphone (or by simply driving up to your house) your garage door can be opened for you. If the kids arrive and you’re not there, or you’re expecting a package and want to keep it in a safe place until someone gets home, you can easily open your garage door to let the kids in or delivery-person leave a package.
If you arrive home late after work or practice, your smart garage opener can help you stay safe by allowing you to pull in to your home. This device doesn’t always stop at the point of opening your garage door but could also work with other smart home devices. Some garage door controllers allow you to create rules so your outdoor and indoor lights come on, so your home is well-lit when you arrive home.
Peace of mind
Ever leave your garage door open when you’re in a rush? With a smart garage door opener, you won’t have to worry as most devices will alert you if the door is left open. From there, it’s as simple as the touch of a button on your phone to close the garage door and keep your home safe. With some models you can also set a schedule so your garage door closes at set times, ensuring that your valuables and family members are safe.