What’s the Difference Between ADT Pulse and ADT Command?
In 2019, ADT rolled out a new touchscreen security system with more smart home features called ADT Command. Prior to its release, the ADT Pulse security system provided home automation features and a mobile app but did not include a touchscreen control panel for ease of use or voice control. While ADT Pulse is still available for current customers, new customers who want those features will have to purchase the Command system.
The new ADT Command security system is a step above and gives you access to remote management with the Control mobile app. You’ll be able to issue voice commands through Amazon Alexa, and the Command system also works with devices from Kwikset, Z-Wave, and LiftMaster. You can purchase the ADT Command system for about $660. Professional monitoring for intrusion detection starts at $45.99 per month.
Pros and Cons of ADT Command
- Access to voice control
- Easy-to-use 7-inch touchscreen control panel
- Lifetime warranty
- Expensive equipment
- Expensive professional monitoring
How Can I Buy ADT Pulse?
ADT Pulse is only available to current ADT customers, meaning you’ll need to have an existing security system. Pulse currently costs $52.99 per month and requires a $99 installation fee. You’ll be able to take advantage of the Pulse mobile app features; however, if you want to use voice control, you’ll need to upgrade to ADT Command.
ADT Command Equipment
With the ADT Command system, you’ll get a touchscreen control panel, motion detector or glass break sensor, door and window sensors, and a smoke detector. Here’s a breakdown of the features for each device:
- ADT Command Touchscreen Control Panel — Manage your home security system by touch with ADT Command’s 7-inch control panel. You can arm or disarm your system, as well as control smart lights, locks, and a smart thermostat. If you’re not near the panel, you can use the Control mobile app instead.
- ADT Motion Sensor — Cover rooms as large as 35-by-40 feet with ADT’s motion sensor. If any activity is detected while your system is armed, you’ll receive alerts by text by email. You can even set up your smart lights to turn on whenever motion is detected at night. ADT’s motion sensors are pet-friendly and can be adjusted for sensitivity.
- ADT Glass Break Sensor — Get protection for areas of up to 25 feet with ADT’s glass break sensor. If breaking glass is detected, you’ll be notified on your phone and an ADT monitoring specialist can dispatch the authorities right away. Using the ADT Control mobile app, you can also check your cameras and sensors to view any activity in your home.
- ADT Door and Window Sensor — Know when someone’s coming and going with ADT’s door and window sensors. You’ll get a text message if a door or window is opened while your system’s armed. With ADT’s door and window sensors, you can also set up your camera to start recording whenever a sensor is tripped.
- ADT Smoke Detector — Get fast fire response with a monitored ADT smoke detector that senses both smoke and heat. This detector features flashing LED lights and sound indicators to let you know when there’s an emergency. In the event that smoke or fire is detected in your home, an ADT monitoring specialist will notify you and your local fire department.
How Much Does ADT Command Cost?
For basic intrusion detection, you’ll pay around $660 for an ADT command system. You’ll receive these devices: a control panel, motion or glass break sensor, door and window sensors, and a smoke detector. Professional monitoring for an ADT Command system starts at $45.99 per month, providing you with a cellular connection to ADT monitoring stations. You can opt to pay for all of your equipment upfront or enter into a contract to pay for the equipment over the life of your agreement.
What Devices Work with ADT Command?
A number of devices and brands can be used with your ADT Command security system, including:
- Indoor cameras
- Outdoor cameras
- Video doorbell
- Smart lights
- Smart locks
- Smart thermostats
- Garage door controller
- Smoke and CO detectors
- Flood sensors
- Smart plugs
Brands and smart technology like Alexa, Kwikset, Z-Wave, and LiftMaster can also be used with your ADT Command System.
What Are Some Ways I Can Use the ADT Control Mobile App?
Home automation features carry over from the ADT Pulse mobile app to the Control app, but there are some new and distinct improvements you’ll find with Control.
- *New — Voice control with Alexa
- *New — More smart home integrations including Z-Wave, Kwikset, and other brands
- Remotely arm or disarm your home security system
- Check motion sensors
- View alerts
- Check cameras
- Turn on or off any smart lights
- Lock or unlock any smart door locks
- Adjust your smart thermostat
- Open and close your garage door
Devices That Work With the ADT Pulse Mobile App
ADT Video Doorbell
The ADT Video Doorbell connects to your home via wireless to offer real-time footage outside of your home. The doorbell is perfect for outdoors with weather resistance and multiple brackets for easy mounting to any home. Enjoy two-way audio with noise cancellation and clear 720p HD video to see and speak with visitors clearly.
ADT Indoor Security Camera
Keep tabs on what’s happening in your home with indoor security cameras. Designed with 720p HD video, these cameras offer clear vision in the daytime and in dark and low-light conditions. You can check in on your kids and pets, and you can even view live video with your mobile device from wherever you are through the ADT mobile app. Whenever there’s activity in your home, you can also get motion-triggered alerts and video. If you’re not sure where your indoor security camera should be placed in your home, a professional technician will help you find the best location.
Smart Light Bulbs
The Smart Light Bulb connects to a smart home Z-wave hub. It shines 750 lumens up to 150 feet of view. Connect ADT’s smart lights using the ADT mobile app to dim, set an automatic schedule and turn off lights using the mobile app. Get a full ADT monitored system to connect your smart light bulb and other ADT monitored home security gadgets for a smart, safe home.
ADT Smart Lock
With a smart lock, you’ll be able to lock and unlock your door remotely by mobile app. Keyless entry also allows you to create unique PINs for family members, friends or anyone who needs access to your home. That way you won’t have to leave a key under the mat.
ADT Garage Door Controller
The ADT Garage Door Controller keeps your family and home safe with mobile alerts whenever your garage door is opened or closed. You can also open or close it yourself through the ADT mobile app. Connect your Garage Door Controller to your ADT security system for professional monitoring and instant alerts.
The Smart Thermostat makes it easy to control the temperature in your home. Simply use your smartphone to automatically adjust and schedule each room’s temperature using the ADT app. The thermostat includes a built-in backlight to easily read the temperature in the dark. ADT’s Smart Thermostat requires professional installation for a seamless set-up with your existing HVAC system.
ADT Customer Service
If you’re interested in becoming an ADT customer or need assistance with an existing account, ADT makes it easy for you to get in touch via phone, online chat, and social media. For general questions, you can check out ADT’s Help Center.
Currently, with the Better Business Bureau (BBB), ADT has an A+ rating but a one-star customer review rating. A number of customer reviews report issues with service cancellation, customer service representative transfers, and billing issues. Trustpilot gives ADT a 1.7 star rating with the grade “Bad”. Several customer reviews comment on bad customer service and trouble with cancellation. It’s worth keeping these comments in mind while deciding on the right security solutions for your needs. Know what your deal-breakers are when it comes to customer service.
Summary: Our Final Thoughts on Upgrading to ADT Command from ADT Pulse
ADT is one of the most recognized brands in home security with over 145 years of experience. The company continues to innovate its solutions with more peripherals and home automation features, showing that it wants to keep up with competitors and other innovators in the space. ADT not only stands out for its equipment innovations, but monitoring innovations as well. You can get a security system with cellular monitoring — not needing a home landline — and have immediate access to emergency response when you need it. Overall, we’re impressed with ADT’s steps toward innovation, but we’re also aware of the negative feedback provided on ADT’s customer service. Ultimately, you’ll need to decide which factors matter most before making your decision.
What is the best home security package for you?
Use our Package Finder to find the right package based on your home security needs!
Frequently Asked Questions About ADT Pulse
You can only purchase ADT Pulse if you’re an existing ADT customer. Pulse is not available for new customers.
ADT Pulse costs $52.99 per month, and you’ll have to pay $99 for installation.
You can only use the ADT Pulse mobile app if you have the security system.
ADT Command adds on voice control, access to more home automation integrations, and a touchscreen control panel as opposed to Pulse. You can get smart home features with Pulse, but they are more limited.
ADT Command costs about $660 if you purchase all of the equipment upfront. For professional monitoring, Command starts at $45.99 per month for activity detection.
Yes, ADT Command requires use of the ADT Control mobile app.
Yes, you’ll be able to check in on your security cameras, manage smart home devices, check motion sensor history, and more via the Control mobile app.
Interesting in Learning More About ADT?
Learn how ADT can help you protect your family and home.