Water safety is a concern year-round for every parent, especially at bath time. But in the summertime, it becomes even more important than ever. The kids want to be swimming and splashing around outside while moms and dads want to make sure their families are safe in the water.
The good news is that are many smart and innovative water safety products to help parents keep their families safe in the water. And while no water product can replace an attentive parent or a certified lifeguard, these water safety products can give parents a little more peace of mind when spending time in and near the water with their families.
Best Water Safety Products for Kids and Families
From the pool to the bathtub, here are 35 of the best water safety products available to keep water time safe and fun for the whole family.
Not all swim products have been endorsed by an Olympic gold medalist, but this one has. Josh Davis, a three-time Olympic gold medalist, supports this swim system that is designed for kids ages 3 to 6 and who weigh approximately 35 to 55 pounds. The system grows with your child, as the foam plates can be removed one by one until she is swimming all by herself.
- Designed for kids who are ready to swim
- The system allows for gradual decrease of flotation pads, allowing for swimming support at the child’s own readiness levels
- Hidden pockets keep flotation pads secure
- Adjustable cords create a snug fit that enhances child’s confidence
As young swimmers become more skilled at swimming, they often do not want to be hindered by floats around their waist and arms. Water Gear offers a solution with its Back Float, featuring a Progressive Split Float.
- Soft, comfortable, closed cell EVA foam that will not absorb water or chip
- Easily buckles on back
- Frees arms for proper motion while swimming
- Split design allows adjustment as swimmer progresses
Sometimes, the best strategy for keeping kids safe is to rely on the old tried-and-true method of learning through literacy. In this book by Claire Llewellyn and illustrated by Mike Gordon, kids learn the importance of learning to swim and the safety rules surrounding pools, the beach and open boats.
- Brief passages for easy understanding by younger children
- Colorful, cartoon-style illustrations on every page
- Clearly written
Often, Dads are charged with hauling the canoes and kayaks on shore and holding the boat steady until the last little feet are onboard. Dad’s job will be easier and more comfortable with Columbia’s Drainmaker II Water Shoe.
- Rubber sole
- Drainable midsole
- Mesh upper for quicker drying time
- Sizes 7-14 available
When having family time at lakes, ponds, and rivers, it is important to remember that babies have difficulty navigating the slippery, rocky ground. The Unisex-Baby Infant Swim Shoes from i play. are a great answer to that problem, especially because they are offered in a wide range of sizes.
- 82% neoprene/10% rubber/8% nylon
- Pull-on closure
- Stretchy to help parents get them on little feet
- Infant sizes 4-9
- Toddler sizes 5-9
Designed for kids between 30 to 50 pounds, the Puddle Jumper Deluxe Life Jacket is perfect for kids who are learning how to swim and getting comfortable and confident in the water. Because the life jacket will not ride up around kids’ necks, they are more comfortable while swimming or learning to swim.
- Patent pending design keeps kids’ faces up and out of the water
- Softer woven polyester fabric cover reduces chafing
- US Coast Guard approved, Type III Performance
Teaching kids to swim can be a daunting task, especially when they feel restricted by their flotation devices. Poolmaster offers one of the least-restrictive training solutions for kids.
- Lightweight training for kids ages 3-6
- Height up to 45”, weight up to 45 pounds
- Contoured body with open sides
- Adjustable body and center straps with buckles
- All-around buoyancy and nylon shell over closed-cell foam flotation elements
Kids aren’t the only ones who can need some flotation devices from time to time. Enhance your water workout with this aquatic flotation belt from TYR.
- High-density construction
- Adjustable belt and clip system to accommodate various body types
- Secure, perfect fit every time
- Ergonomically-designed EVA foam
- One of the softest and most comfortable aquatic floatation belts on the market
For water activities that require a flotation device with the possibility of more mobility, the Nekdoodle is the answer. Float or swim hands-free while the Nekdoodle supports your head and neck. For parents who are catching jumping or sliding children at the pool, this might just be the solution you’ve been seeking.
- Multiple uses: fitness, recreation, relaxation, rehab, boating, and ocean
- Soft, durable poly vinyl-coated foam construction
- Permanently buoyant, no inflation necessary
- UV protected and salt and chlorine resistant
- Easily wipes clean
One important aspect of water safety is protecting your family from the harmful sun’s rays. With UV50+ sun protection, Speedo’s UV Polywog suit provides all-day protection with maximum comfort and no restriction of motion with full flotation support.
- Tapered foam inserts encourage upright position in the water
- UV50+ protection from UVA and UVB rays
- Boy’s style includes versatile snap-off shorts that can be worn alone
It’s better to be safe than sorry when it comes to water safety, and the Safety Pool Hook is a product that helps families do just that. If someone is in danger at the pool, you can safely get them out without jumping in and putting yourself at risk.
- Fits any standard straight pole, except telescopic poles
- Ideal as a teaching aid or for emergencies
- Sturdy and durable
One of the most difficult bath-time tasks for parents is getting the water temperature correct for their kids. Always worried that the water is too hot or getting too cold near the end of bath time, parents tend to be up to their elbows in water… literally. Let the Deluxe Safety Bath Thermometer Alarm take the guesswork – and sopping wet arms – out of the bath time routine.
- Easy to use – no buttons
- Automatically activates
- Reads bath temperature every 2 seconds
- Alerts parents with an audible alarm if the water is too hot or too cold
Ozeri’s Turtlemeter brings safety and functionality to play time in the bath tub. The Turtlemeter calculates bath water temperature every second and displays the temperature with three different color screens, for an easy-to-read result every time.
- Instantly activates in the water
- Floats naturally and is fully submersible
- Displays in Fahrenheit on an easy-to-read LCD with blue, green, or red colors
Protect baby’s noggin from the tub faucet with Skip Hop’s Moby. With his bright colors and cute face, Moby is sure to dress up any tub while keeping baby safe, too.
- Soft, tough rubber protects baby during bath time
- Fin easily adjusts to tighten and fit Moby on most spouts
- Blowhole allows for easy access to shower diverter
- Hang Moby from his tail hook when he’s not in use
Adding a little more style and fun to bath safety is a whole lot easier with Boon’s Flo Water Deflector. Flo transforms a regular bathtub faucet into a gentle waterfall that kids won’t mind leaning back into when it’s time to rinse the shampoo.
- Projects water away from faucet
- Helps protect noggins from bumps on the faucet
- Allows access to shower diverter
- BPA, Phthalate, and PVC free
Designed for use from the very first bath through baths during the toddler years, the Infant to Toddler Tub from The First Years provides a safe and comfortable environment to make bath time more enjoyable and safe. Complete with a temperature guard drain plug, the tub has features to make bath time easier for parents and children.
- Adjustable baby tub with built-in wash basin for toys, rinse water, and supplies
- Fits single and double sinks
- Upright backrest provides additional support for toddlers
- Includes mesh sling and foam pads to cradle infants
One of the most difficult aspects of bath time for babies is their desire to be independent conflicting with the parents’ desire to keep them safe in the water. Papillon provides a smart solution with its Baby Bath Ring.
- Create a developmental playground for baby in the tub
- Allows baby to play freely in the water, once he can sit up on his own
- Butterfly shape prevents baby from tipping over in the tub
- Easy to clean – just rinse and hang or throw it into the washing machine
Add functionality to safety and whimsy with this PATRULL bath mat by IKEA. Little ones will love bath time with their crocodile friend, and parents will love knowing that they have reduced the risk of their tots slipping in the tub or shower.
- Suction cups are easily attached and removed
- Holes for hanging to dry and keep clean and fresh longer
- Machine washable
Often, parents think about safety for their children during bath time but overlook their own comfort and safety. Skip Hop provides a solution with its elbow rest, complete with cushy foam padding
- BPA and phthalate free
- Nonslip backing and handy pocket for small items
- Suctions to the tub’s edge and hangs to dry after use
Sometimes, water safety needs to be something you keep in mind even inside your own home, with the water that you drink. With the WaterSafe Drinking Water Test Kit, you are able to bring lab-quality results to your home and identify whether your drinking water is safe for your family.
- Identifies harmful levels of lead and bacteria in your water
- Easy to use – no mixing or measuring
- Results in 10 minutes
- Safe and convenient
Families who camp frequently know the value of clean drinking water from virtually anywhere, and it never hurts for members of the family to be prepared. LifeStraw, a Time Magazine “Invention of the Year” winner, offers access to clean and safe drinking water for anyone, anywhere.
- No after-taste, since no chlorine, iodine, or other chemicals are used
- No waiting time for water to drip or chemicals to act; you can drink from your LifeStraw right away
- 5-year shelf life
- Removes a minimum of 99.9999% of waterborne bacteria and 99.9% of waterborne protozoan parasites
Whether boating or swimming, your family needs to be protected from the nightmare of a possible drowning. The U.S.C.G. Approved Life Rings from Cal June should help put your mind at ease.
- Solid closed cell foam throughout
- Soft and resilient to the touch
- Will not rot or mildew
- Double UV inhibitor prevents deterioration
- Resists weather and temperature extremes
All family members to be safe when boating or fishing, and Mustang Survival offers an industrial-strength personal flotation device (PFD) for those occasions. The large armholes allow for optimal mobility, and the Tug-Tite side adjustments create a custom fit for users.
- Four large Velcro-secured front pockets for storing essential items
- 2 D-rings can be used for lanyard attachments
- SOLAS reflective tape on shoulders allows for visibility in dark or stormy conditions
- USCG approved
- Includes a one-year manufacturer’s warranty
- Sizes range from Small – X-Large
Fox 40’s Water Safety Rope & Float is softer and easier to handle than a conventional rope, so boating and other marine activities with your family can be a little more worry-free. With 900lb breaking strength, this safety rope should meet all of your family’s aquatic needs.
- Made from extra-fine polypropylene filaments woven into a high-density braid
- 50ft length
- Float is made of expanded polyvinyl chloride for toughness, weather resistance and long life
- Clearly visible and easy to grasp
When boating with your family, it is best to be prepared for anything, and Kwik Tek’s Boat LL-2 Life Line Boat Safety Kit makes sure that you are. Recommended for all boats, this kit includes all of the essentials.
- 50-foot buoyant heaving line
- Bailer: watertight container
- Sound signaling device: pealess whistle
- Watertight flashlight
Whether boating, swimming, or fishing, your family needs to be able to alert others if danger arises. The pealess whistle has an intense high-pitched trill that can be heard over long distances.
- Pealess design means water will not affect the whistle’s performance
- Available in several colors
Don’t let its compact size fool you: Fox 40’s Deluxe Boat Safety Kit has everything your family needs to stay safe on a day of canoeing, kayaking, or boating. Complete with the Original Fox 40 Whistle, this kit comes from a reputable name in water safety products.
- Contents of kit fit into bailer
- Bailer capped with mirrored SOS lid
- 50ft woven polypropylene Fox 40 Marine Rope & Float
- Waterproof Fox 40 Marine LED flashlight
- 2AA Duracell batteries
With a full five-star rating on Amazon.com, the Falcon Safety Push Button Horn seems to be the clear choice among boaters. If your family needs to signal because of fog, rescue, or emergency situations, the Falcon horn is the top choice.
- 100% ozone safe
- Guaranteed unbreakable
- Removable horn for easy storage
When things go wrong on the water, you need to be prepared. One of the smartest and simplest solutions is to carry this Orion Safety Distress Flag on your boat.
- USCG approved as a daytime signal
- Heavy duty vinyl construction
- Brass grommets with (4) 12” nylon ties
- Bright orange with international distress signal
Even with all of your preparations, accidents happen, and the Outdoor First Aid Kit from Total Resources International should cover all of your family’s first aid needs while on the water. The 201 pieces have an emphasis on outdoor protection.
- Multi-compartmental, hard case is sturdy for rugged use
- Case includes an adjustable and removable shoulder strap
- Convenient carry handle
- Removable inner mini pouch for first aid on the go
- Kit measures 7 ¾” x 7” x 3 ½”
With all of the precautions families take on the water, someone still could fall overboard. Be prepared for the most desperate of situations with the Kent Type IV Boat Cushion. Designed for immediate emergencies, the cushion should not be used for small children, non-swimmers, or unconscious victims.
- Two-tone webbing grab straps to aid in throwing or for convenient carrying
- Strong, durable nylon ripstop shell holds up against abrasions and snags
- USCG approved Type IV PFD
- 15” x 16” x 2.5”
Accidents and incidents can happen at any time, so having a PFD light adds one more layer of protection for your family. With their bright colors and lights, the Fulton PFD Light attaches to your family’s PFDs to make them more visible in the event of a water emergency.
- Safety-Pin Attachment to affix to almost any type of PFD
- Flashes approximately 60 times per minute
- Battery life approximately 16 hours
Don’t get stuck on the dock or in the water with a broken kill switch key or realize you’ve lost yours. Kwik Tek’s lanyard includes 7 keys to save your day on the water.
- Keys fit all BRP, Johnson, Evinrude, Mercury, Yamaha, Honda, Tohatus, Nissan, and Suzuki kill switches
- Equipped with a swivel snap hook to prevent tangles
- Rust-free stainless steel crimps
Keeping track of your cell phone and electronic devices is an important part of water safety, but it is not beneficial to have them along on your swimming or boating trip if they are not within arm’s reach. Aryca’s Floating Lanyard solves that problem by adding buoyancy to your devices in their waterproof cases.
- Padded wrist strap fits most portable electronic devices in their waterproof cases
- Bright yellow color for easy, fast retrieval
- Easy to attach
- Fits most digital cameras
Safely take your GoPro camera to capture all of your families’ fun times on the water with eForCity’s Floaty. Less worry about your electronics means more fun family time.
- Easy to install and use
- Lightweight and portable
- Prevent camera from sinking
- 3M adhesive sticker included for attaching the mount directly to GoPro back door (not included)
35 Best Water Safety Products – Complete List
- Power Swimr System – Medium, by SwimWays
- Water Gear Back Float, Progressive Split Float
- Watch Out! Near Water (Watch Out! Books)
- Columbia Men’s Drainmaker II Water Shoe
- i play. Unisex-Baby Infant Swim Shoes
- Poolmaster Learn-to-Swim Freestyler Training Vest – Large
- Stearns Kids Puddle Jumper Deluxe Life Jacket
- TYR SPORT Aquatic Flotation Belt, One Size
- Nekdoodle 3501 Flotation Device
- Speedo Kid’s Begin to Swim UV Polywog Swimsuit
- Safety Pool Hook R221026
- Aquatopia Deluxe Safety Bath Thermometer Alarm
- Turtlemeter, the Baby Bath Floating Turtle Toy and Bath Tub Thermometer
- Skip Hop Bath Spout Cover, Moby
- Boon Flo Water Deflector and Protective Faucet Cover with Bubble Bath Dispenser
- The First Years Infant to Toddler Tub with Sling
- Papillon Baby Bath Ring
- IKEA PATRULL Non-Slip Bath Mat, Green Crocodile
- Skip Hop Moby Bathtub Elbow Rest
- Watersafe WS425B Drinking Water Test Kit
- LifeStraw Personal Water Filter
- Cal June USCG Approved Ring Buoy
- Mustang Classic Industrial PFD with 4 Pockets
- Fox 40 Water Safety Rope & Float
- Kwik Tek LL-2 Life Line Boat Safety Kit
- Original Fox 40 Classic Whistle
- Boat Safety Kit, Fox 40 Deluxe
- Falcon Safety Push Button Horn
- Orion Safety Products Orange Distress Flag, 3’ x 3’
- Outdoor First Aid Kit 201 PC for Camping, Boating, Fishing and Hunting
- Kent Red Foam Boat Cushion
- Fulton Personal Flotation Device Light
- Kwik Tek BKS-6 Boat Kill Switch Keys with Lanyard
- Aryca Floating Lanyard Wrist Strap
- eForCity Floaty with 3M Adhesive Pads compatible with GoPro Hero 1/2/3/3+