The Best Heat Pumps: 5 Safe, Efficient Heat Pump Models to Consider for Home Heating
Heat pumps typically are outdoor units that serve as air conditioners during the warmer months and heating sources during the colder months. Heat pumps extract heat either from the air or the ground outside and pump the heat into your home, which can be much more economical than gas or oil furnaces. Heat pumps may not be the most affordable heating option for some families, though, so it is important to determine whether your home is better suited to a heat pump, furnace, or ductless heat pump system.
Once you’ve determined that a heat pump is the best option for your home, there are a few questions you should consider before you make a purchase. One of the first decisions you need to make is which heat pump size you need to accommodate the size of your home or the space that you plan to heat. HVAC professionals often help homeowners to determine the heat pump size their home requires, as well as the optimal efficiency of the heat pump and the best brand to purchase.
Another option among heat pumps is a ductless heat pump. These heat pumps especially are appropriate for add-ons to homes or areas of the home that do not have a ducted heating system. Or, your home may require a small space heating system. Ductless heat pumps are popular because of their small size and flexible options for heating individual rooms.
You could survey home heating professionals to get all of your heat pump answers, but we aim to save you some time by sharing our picks for the best and safest heat pumps available. Please note, we have listed our top picks for best and safest heat pumps here, in no particular order.
The Goodman GSZ13 13 SEER Heat Pump is environmentally friendly, using the chlorine-free R-410A refrigerant, which does not damage the ozone. The heat pump’s 13 SEER rating also means that it helps to reduce energy consumption throughout the system’s lifecycle. This particular heat pump system features an ARUF series air handler, consolidating the old ARUF and ADPF series into a brand new and improved model that features the SmartFrame Sub Structure, which adds lateral stability to the chassis.
- Energy-efficient scroll compressor
- Low-pressure switch
- 850 RPM condenser fan motor
- Backed by a 10-year parts limited warranty
- Meets the 2001 Florida Building Code requirements for hurricane-type winds when properly anchored
- Unique Goodman sound control top design, resulting in operating sound levels that are among the best in heating and cooling
Cost: *Approx. $1,934.16
Miami Heat Pump manufactures geothermal heat pumps with a Nominal Capacity of up to 80 tons. Their 5-ton vertical geothermal heat pump EER 22.0 is constructed with a stainless steel cabinet and drain pan. Its variable speed fan motor makes it a top choice, along with its super-high efficiency performance. Miami Heat Pump products are known for their very low maintenance requirements.
- Solid state lockout circuit
- 5 diagnostic LEDs
- Insulated stainless steel cabinet and drain pan
- Galvanized blower and housings
- Cupro-nickel condensors for extremely long life
Cost: *Approx. $3,295
The Pioneer ductless wall mount mini split inverter air conditioner with heat pump offers a ductless heat pump option for those who need to heat a single zone or small space. Known for being extremely quiet and offering superior efficiency, the Pioneer ductless air conditioning and heat pump system comes with a wireless remote control that allows the user to easily select between four different operating modes: Cooling, Heating, Dehumidification and Ventilation. .
- Pioneer’s newest design
- Powerful, dependable performance
- Uses 110-120 VAC standard household power
- 15 SEER high efficiency rating
- Automatic switchover mode allows for totally automatic operation
- Timer for setting the unit to start and stop at specific times
- Night mode and auto-restart functions
- 9,000 BTU 110V: *Approx. $719.99
- 12,000 BTU 110V: *Approx. $759.99
- 12,000 BTU 220V: *Approx. $749.99
- 18,000 BTU 220V: *Approx. $984.99
- 24,000 BTU 220V: *Approx. $1,159.99
Mitsubishi ‘s ductless heat pump systems give homeowners control over the temperature in a single room or area of their home. This ductless heat pump operates in an extremely quiet state; in fact, one consumer posting a review of this model on Amazon.com say it’s “absolutely dead silent,” noting that he sometimes forgets to turn it off as a result.
- Indoor and outdoor units are extremely quiet
- Manufacturer’s warranty is seven years on the compressor and parts
- High efficiency cooling and heating
- Advanced triple-action air filtration
- 22,400 BTU cooling capacity
Cost: *Approx. $2,259.53
The Klimaire 12,000 BTU 15 SEER ductless mini split heat pump air conditioner features pre-charged indoor and outdoor units. The energy savings associated with this ductless heat pump system make it a great choice, but customers especially love the Follow Me function that allows the unit to regulate the temperature based on the temperature around the remote control for automated, comfortable climate control.
- DC inverter-driven technology, combined with brushless DC motor and twin cam compressor, for a reliable and cost-efficient system
- Compact, slim design
- Available in 12,000, 16,000, 22,000, and 32,000 BTU
- Negative ion generator and filter remove indoor pollutants while the active carbon filter removes odors
Cost: *Approx. $872
Heat pumps offer a multitude of benefits to consumers, ranging from energy-efficient operation to environmentally friendly features that can help reduce indoor air pollution, ultra-quiet operation, and more. A careful evaluation of the features, functional capabilities, and other options, coupled with feedback from consumer reviews and consultation with a qualified contractor, will help you choose the best heat pump for your home.
About the Author
This post was a contribution from Angela Stringfellow, who writes on behalf of Solvit Connecticut, an electrical, heating and air (HVAC), & plumbing services provider. You can learn more about the services offered by Solvit in their most popular areas by following the links below: