Home automation software focuses on making homes better, and often safer, through innovative technology. The world has come a long way from relying on home security provided by large corporations operating from remote locations. Today, home automation software and products can determine whether you are home, send you notifications about what is going on at your home, and make you feel more secure and comfortable, without much effort or action on your part.
We searched for the most intuitive and innovative home automation software and products available and compiled a list of the top 50, based on ease of installation and use, compatibility with other home automation software and products, multiple functions, and ability to be added to other networks in the future. Our top 50 picks are listed here, in no particular order.
Make your home safer with the VeraLite Home Controller. Vera can make any home a smart home, and at an affordable price, too; there are no monthly fees or contracts. The VeraLite Home Controller sets up simply and securely, making the technology work for you and your family right out of the box. Control your lights, cameras, thermostats, door lock alarm systems and more with the VeraLite Home Controller.
- Convenient user interface
- Control from anywhere in the world with access from any device with an internet connection
- Advanced energy metering capabilities so you can control your energy bill and save
- Video monitoring to stream live video from plug and play IP cameras and on your smartphone
Cost: *Est. $175
Transform your smartphone into a remote control with the SmartThings Know and Control Your Home Kit. Get peace of mind knowing you have secured your home and protected your family and property with notifications. The SmartThings Know and Control Your Home Kit also allows you to monitor your locks, lights, temperature and more.
- Includes the SmartThings Hub, 2 SmartSense Multi Sensors, 2 SmartSense Presence Sensors, SmartSense Motion Sensor, SmartPower Outlet, all necessary batteries, ethernet cable, power cord and mounting tape
- Get notifications when people, pets and cars come and go
- Get early warnings about prevent leaks, smoke and carbon monoxide
- No monthly fees, contracts or installation hassles
Cost: *Est. $330
Belkin’s WeMo Light Switch is a newly updated version of its award-winning WeMo app. Control your lights and electronics from anywhere with this home automation app compatible with Wi-Fi on your Apple smartphone and iPad.
- Easy to use
- Works with your existing Wi-Fi router and any iPod touch, iPhone, or iPad with iOS 5 or higher
- Expandable – add any additional WeMo switches easily at any time
- Works with one-way connection lights (not compatible with three-way connections)
- Requires a neutral wire because metal faceplates may interfere with Wi-Fi connectivity
Cost: *Est. $44
With the Belkin NetCam Wi-Fi HD+ Camera with Glass Lens and Night Vision, you can watch your home from anywhere, any time. You can stream live HD video from your home directly to your smartphone or tablet, with no computer required. Rest a little more easily knowing that you can keep an eye on your children, pets or other family members when you can’t be with them.
- Works with Belkin WeMo products
- Premium HD wide-angle glass lens and HD video for the ultimate viewing day or night
- Simple installation, with no computer required
- Secure connection – NetCam HD+ connects only to Belkin’s secure servers
- Email alerts with movement-detection notifications and built-in push-to-talk microphone for 2-way conversations
- Includes Belkin NetCam HD+, mounting kit with screws, quick install guide and power supply
Cost: *Est. $130
As a Wi-Fi enabled device, the Belkin WeMo Insight Switch connects your home appliances and electronic devices to your Wi-Fi network, allowing you to turn devices on or off from anywhere. The Insight Switch also monitors your electronics and delivers energy-usage information direction to your smartphone or tablet.
- Works with a variety of electronic devices, including space heaters, wall A/C units, washers and dryers, fans, TVs and more
- Set schedules and receive customized notifications
- Compatible with any smartphone or tablet using Android 4.0 and higher or iOS 6 or higher
Cost: *Est. $60
Philips Hue Persona Wireless Lighting goes beyond typical remote-controlled lighting. You can create scenes based on your favorite photos and control your lights from your smart phone or tablet. Philips Hue Personal Wireless Lighting gives you the control.
- Tunable white light – every color you can imagine
- Create your own light shows by making the wireless LED light bulbs flash, pulse, dim and more
- Compatible with current light fittings
- Starter pack includes hue bridge and three A19 bulbs
- One bridge per household controls up to 50 bulbs of any type
- Forbes Product of the Year 2012
Cost: *Est. $190
With its unique set of sensors to monitor your home, the Netatmo Weather Station wirelessly transmits the data from your living environment to your smartphone. Measure, track, and monitor your weather and environment, both indoors and out. The Netatmo App (free on iTunes and the Google Play Store) provides access to your Weather Station’s measurements on the dashboard, in graphs, or in notifications, and your data is recorded online and accessible to you through your smartphone or PC.
- Made for iPhone and Android (4.0 or later)
- Monitors temperature, humidity, barometric pressure, indoor CO2 concentration, indoor noise pollution, local air quality index, and detailed 7-day forecast
- Real time notifications and graphs, recorded every 5 minutes
- Lifetime free personal account for your data
- Fully weatherproof
Cost: *Est. $177
Dropcam Pro combines brilliant image quality with cutting-edge technology. This cloud-based Wi-Fi video monitoring service offers a wealth of features and is one of the most intuitive wireless video cameras available. An Amazon #1 Best Seller in Surveillance and Security Cameras, the Dropcam Pro helps you stay connected with the people, places and pets that are most important to you.
- New optics and updated image sensor provide 2x sharper video
- 60-Second Setup – Connect to Wi-Fi with your computer or iOS mobile device and stream live in under a minute
- Incredible viewing capabilities – 130 degrees diagonal, plus up to 8x zoom and night vision
- Two-Way Talk, intelligent alerts, scheduling, and mobile and web apps
- Optional Cloud Video Recording so you can review footage from the past week or month and save and share favorite clips
Cost: *Est. $200
Use the D-Link Wi-Fi Smart Plug to control your devices from any location with the Home Automation App for smartphones and tablets. Enjoy the convenience of walking into an already lit home after work, or into a temperature-controlled room after school.
- Schedule your devices to turn on when you aren’t home
- Control devices remotely with mydlink
- Easily connect to existing Wi-Fi with WPS button
- iOS and Android mobile app
Cost: *Est. $50
When considering purchasing any home automation software/product, you run the risk of preferring different brands for different purchases. The Revolv Hub is the home automation solution: the single hub can control all of your devices from the most popular brands including Nest, Philips Hue, Yale, Schlage, Belkkin, Insteon and more.
- Use one app to unify and automate all your smart devices
- Customize to create the environments you want, when you want them, with lights, locks, thermostats, speakers and more
- 60-Second Setup
- No contracts, monthly fees, or professional installation required
With the INSTEON Wireless Motion Sensor, you give your INSTEON system the ability to react to changes in motion. From triggering lights to sending an alert, when used in combination with an INSTEON alerts-ready controller, the motion sensor will keep you from stumbling in the dark or coming home to a dark house.
- Remotely control up to 400 INSTEON devices
- Automatically turns off after motion stops – adjustable from 30 seconds – 2 hours
- Adjustable high/low motion sensitivity allows for flexible motion sensor placement
- Excellent range – up to 150 feet from nearest access point or RF INSTEON device
Cost: *Est. $33
Control up to four individual INSTEON devices or eight groups of devices with the INSTEON Mini Remote 4 Scene. Users can remotely control their devices within a 50-foot range, so feel free to mount the remote on the wall, clip it into in your car, or place it on a table and enjoy the ease of home automation with INSTEON.
- Fits in the palm of your hand
- Use as a portable handheld remote or mount it on the wall for use as a keypad
- Wirelessly raise and lower lighting levels or recall a favorite lighting level
- Battery operated and rechargeable
Cost: *Est. $40
The INSTEON Wireless Open/Close Sensor truly brings home automation to a new level, as it automatically controls lights and appliances when doors open and close. The magnetic contact sensor (formerly known at the TriggerLinc) springs into action when magnetic contact is broken, so you won’t have to worry about being unaware of a door or window opening in your home.
- Control lights, set the thermostat to a comfort setting, or choose to trigger a custom event in HouseLinc 2
- Useful for doors, windows, drawers, sheds, cabinets, or anything else that opens
- Wire standard security sensors to the Open/Close sensor to monitor several doors and windows
- Battery operated for easy installation
- Range up to 150 feet from nearest access point or RF INSTEON device
Cost: *Est. $33
Securing homes with deadbolt locks has been the norm for years, but Yale’s Real Living deadbolts brings the standard in home security to the 21st century. Automate your home with the Yale Security Real Living Electronic Touch Screen Deadbolt with Z-Wave Technology and gain complete control of all users by assigning up to 25 customized codes for each door.
- Durable acrylic touchscreen
- Illuminated touchscreen for night-time access
- For use on all standard interior and exterior doors
- Disable or enable auto relock function with the touch of a button
- Enable Privacy Mode to look out all codes
Cost: *Est. $240
Easily control the level of lighting in your home remotely with the INSTEON LampLinc Plug-In Lamp Dimmer Module. Use a wall keypad, handheld remote, computer, or smartphone to control on, off, dim and bright modes and create the lighting scene you desire.
- Wirelessly control a lamp from any INSTEON-compatible controller
- 300-watt maximum load
- Control lights remotely from anywhere in the house
Cost: *Est. $47
LightStrips bring a whole new level of freedom to lighting design in your home. With more than 16 million colors, you can match your light to the mood or the moment by connecting to the Philips hue app and controlling the LightStrips with any smart device.
- Flexible two-meter strips with innovative LED light
- Long-lasting and highly efficient
- Integrated adhesive tape allows you to easily install the LightStrips anywhere or on any piece of furniture
- Sync with music and Ambilight
- Available alarms, timers and notifications to control or set your light to do what you want, when you want
Cost: *Est. $90
Automate your home security system and have complete control over it with the Fortress S02-A from Fortress Security Store. The Fortress S02-A detects forceable break-ins and suspicious movement in rooms via passive motion sensors and magnetic sensors for doors and windows. As a fully programmable system, the Fortress S02-A automatically calls a designated number when there is a security breach.
- Includes a main control panel with auto-dialer, 5 door/window contacts, 2 passive motion detectors, 1 loud 110dB Fortress Internal Siren, 2 key fobs to activate/deactivate the alarm and 1 panic alarm
- Auto-dialer will call up to 6 designated phone numbers in the event of a security breach
- Siren will alert neighbors and potentially deter intruders
Cost: *Est. $130
Enhance the alert portion of your home automation system with the Siren/Strobe Alarm Module from FortrezZ. The FortezZ Siren/Strobe Alarm is fully programmable with Z-Wave smart controllers to provide audible and visual notifications that you set for your automation/security network.
- Can be used in an existing home security system with Z-Wave to RS232/485 bridge
- Loud alarm (>110dB@1m) and intense strobe light
- Speaks Z-Wave and is a Z-Wave certified product for full operation with other Z-Wave enabled devices
- Fully programmable with Z-Wave Smart Controllers
Cost: *Est. $45
The Aeotec Z-Wave MultiSensor lives up to its name, as it is an indoor/outdoor sensor that does the work of 4 pieces of technology, thanks to its Z-Wave capabilities. Monitor and control information and actions with this all-in-one motion/temperature/humidity/light/indoor/outdoor sensor.
- Use the motion sensor for traditional security monitoring, but also to design all types of intelligent scenarios, including lighting control
- Monitor a room’s temperature and then control the electronic devices that keep your home comfortable
- Add to the comfort levels in your home by monitoring humidity levels in your home with the sensor and then controlling it with Z-wave
- Several functions in relation to the light sensor, including saving energy, ensuring safety, and controlling comfort
Cost: *Est. $49
The SmartSense Presence Sensor from SmartThings is more than a motion sensor; it allows you to receive updates about a person, pet, or thing’s location, including when the sensor goes in and out of the Hub’s range. As a true home automation product, the SmartSense Presence Sensor gives you the ability to trigger other SmartThings-compatible devices to activate when people, pets, or things leave and return.
- Receive push or text notifications when people and pets approach and leave a specified area
- Keep track of your keys by triggering a beep based on the location of your Smart Sense Presence sensor
- ZigBee-powered device with a range of 30-50 feet
- Receive notifications about a child’s return from school by placing the sensor inside a backpack
Cost: *Est. $31
Honeywell’s Lyric Thermostat puts you in control of your home comfort levels with a smartphone or tablet, no matter where you are; there are no rigid schedules with Lyric. Lyric truly automates your home with Geofencing: it adjusts the temperature as you come and go using your smartphone location to help save on your energy bills.
- Thermostat controls are on your smart device, so you stay connected
- Honeywell’s classic round design with 3″ diameter polished glass face and simplified touchscreen interface
- Motion-sense illumination
- Smart Cues feature sends maintenance notifications and extreme conditions alerts
- Fine Tune uses indoor and outdoor temperature and humidity to reach set point, so that your home truly feels like the temperature displayed
Cost: *Est. $245
One area of home automation that often is overlooked is technology to prevent water damage and even flooding. Everspring’s Wireless Flood Detector can be placed anywhere that water leakage is possible, including near water heaters, HVAC units, sinks, toilets, and showers.
- Z-Wave compatible flood sensor
- Use stand-alone to control Z-Wave devices
- Use with HomeSeer systems to launch automation events
- LED for indication and battery status
- Triggers alert when water is detected
Cost: *Est. $50
The SmartThings line of home automation products revolves around the SmartThings Hub. The Ethernet-connected Hub plugs into your internet router and connects all of the different sensors so that you receive notifications about activity. The SmartThings Hub also gives you the ability to use your smartphone to remotely control your home’s security, energy usage and more.
- Gives you the ability to connect a group of sensors or smart devices to be monitored and controlled using the free Android/iOS apps
- Notifications on your smartphone based on your smart objects’ statuses, including whether windows or doors are open or closed
- Connect any SmartThings sensors or SmartThings-compatiable devices to your SmartThings account
Cost: *Est. $99
As an intelligent home automation Z-Wave sensor, the Aeotec Z-Wave Door/Window Sensor, 2nd Edition sends information to your Z-Wave network to trigger events upon activation, such as to trigger an alarm if a door is opened. The Door & Window Sensor also sends information about the doors and windows in your home to Z-Wave; for example, an open door may require a light turning on to welcome you home.
- Sensor is completely wireless and uses a special Z-Wave wireless signal that should not cause interference with the other technologies in your home
- Wireless range up to 300 feet
- Monitors the open/closed status of a door, window, or other object
Cost: *Est. $40
Control your home appliances and electronics by turning devices on and off as soon as movement is detected, with the Belkin WeMo Switch and Motion Sensor. Use the free WeMo app for any device running Android 4.0 or later or iOS 5 or later so that a light turns on when you come home or a fan turns off when you leave.
- Sensor’s 6-foot cord lets you place it where it needs to be
- Add multiple switches and motion sensors for even more control
- WeMo is completely modular
- Receive SMS or email notifications when movement is detected at your home
Cost: *Est. $74
Control how much energy your devices use when you’re not actually using them with the Conserve Socket from Belkin. You decide when to turn off power to your devices, and the Conserve Socket shuts off power after the time interval you select, to help you save energy.
- Easy to set timer with options for 30 minutes, 3 hours or 6 hours
- Completely cuts power after timer expires
- Get peace of mind by automatically shutting off curling irons, space heaters, irons, etc.
- May be used throughout the home for multiple devices, including kitchen appliances
Cost: *Est. $11
The Nest Learning Thermostat, 2nd Generation is changing the home automation world of thermostats with a thermostat that truly is automatic. The Learning Thermostat learns what temperatures you like and builds its schedule, including learning efficient temperatures within a few days and setting them on its own within a week.
- Auto-Schedule – remembers the temperatures you like and programs itself
- Auto-Away – saves energy by automatically turning itself down when you’re away
- Remote control – connect the Nest thermostat to Wi-Fi to control it using your smartphone, laptop or tablet
- Easy to install – most installs take 30 minutes or less
- Amazon #1 Best Seller in Home Programmable Thermostats
Cost: *Est. $249
The iSmartAlarm gives you a way to monitor and control the devices in your home with wireless sensors that provide realtime feedback data on an iPhone or iPad. Connect the central hub of the iSmartAlarm system, the CubeOne, to your home’s router so that it can coordinate all of the activities of the connected censors.
- DIY self-monitored, self-controlled product
- Includes 1 CubeOne, 2 Door/Window Sensors, 1 Motion Sensor, 2 Remote Tags and iSmartAlarm stickers
- No monthly fees or contracts required
- Nearly unlimited expandability
- iPhone/iPad enabled home security system
Cost: *Est. $195
An incredibly versatile home automation device, the SmartSense Multi Sensor detects temperature, when things open or close, when they move, and when they change angle. Connect the Multi Sensor to your SmartThings Hub and receive text or push notifications on your smartphone when it detects movement, unexpected entry, movement of valuables and more.
- ZigBee-powered device has a range of 50 to 150 feet
- Nearly limitless creative solutions including placing the Multi Sensor on your mailbox to be alerted when your mail arrives
- Receive notifications when people come and go
Cost: *Est. $49
SkyBell’s smart video doorbell allows you to answer your door from your smartphone. With a video camera, motion sensor, microphone and speaker, the SkyBell WiFi Doorbell lets you see, hear and speak to visitors using iOS or Android mobile devices from anywhere in the world.
- Exclusive Motion Sensor starts a call even when the visitor does not press the button
- Quick and easy installation
- Requires direct power and analog doorbell chime
- Manage multiple cameras in the same account
Cost: *Est. $199
The Wink Hub eases your frustration with your home automation products by allowing your collection of smart products to speak the same wireless language and control them from the Wink app. Simply download the Wink app, connect your Hub, and add your favorite smart products to take control of your home automation products.
- Supports many products that use Wi-Fi, ZigBee, Z-Wave and Lutron ClearConnect
- Enable remote control via the Wink app on your smartphone
- No monthly fees
- Customer support – get help from a person anytime
Cost: *Est. $50
The Nexia Home Bridge is supported by Z-Wave technology and is the hub of your home automation system by allowing you to monitor and control locks, lights and more. Plus, the Nexia Bridge allows you to control all Nexia-compatible products from any smartphone, tablet, or computer using the internet.
- Can hold and control more than 200 Z-Wave products at the same time
- Connects to your router so you can control your home through a securely encrypted broadband internet connection
- Manage your home through your online Nexia account and mobile apps
Cost: *Est. $60
Control your entire X10 home automation/security system with the X10 PalmPad Remote Control. Control your lights, appliances and more from anywhere in your home, up to 100 feet away.
- Wireless handheld X10 controller
- Controls up to 16 units codes
- Sends dim/brighten, on/off, all on/off commands
- Works with any X10 transceiver
Cost: *Est. $1
The INSTEON USB-based home automation interface allows PC and hardware-based automation controllers to control INSTEON and INSTEON-compatible home automation products. Dual-band technology sends and receives power line and RF commands.
- Easy, trouble-free USB connection
- Control INSTEON and X10 devices from compatible HA software
- Supports 1,000+ links
- Powerline interface uses simple RS-232 commands, allowing any device with a programmable serial port to send INSTEON commands
Cost: *Est. $72
With the touch of a remote control, use the Philips LivingColor Aura lamp to create the lighting scene you desire. Select one of 16 million available colors and enjoy the light from every angle.
- 120 lumens
- Save 2 favorite settings
- Remote control included
- Adjustable speed of automatic color changing mode
Cost: *Est. $77
Home automation has even made its way to Pivot Power Genius, the flexible surge-protecting power strip that is the app-enabled version of Quirky’s best-selling power strip. The Pivot Power Genius gives you the ability to control two outlets from your mobile device, so you never have to worry about whether you left an appliance on after you’ve left.
- Turn two outlets on or off remotely using an app on your mobile device – do this manually or schedule it automatically from anywhere any time
- Four pivoting outlets to accommodate plugs and adapters of any shape or size
- 1080 joules of surge protection
Cost: *Est. $60
Sometimes, home automation products make the necessities of home safety a little less annoying, and that is exactly what the Nest Protect Smoke Plus Carbon Monoxide Alarm has done. Rather than beeping incessantly at you if you accidentally burn dinner or start your lawn mower in the garage, Nest Protect gives you an early warning: Heads-Up. In real emergencies, Nest Protect’s Heads-Up is an invaluable early warning.
- Connect to Wi-Fi and get a message on your smartphone if the batteries are running low
- Speaks with a human voice to tell you where the smoke is or when carbon monoxide levels are rising
- Tests sensors and batteries constantly and lets you know they are wiring with a quick green glow at night
- Available in both battery operated and wired models
- Battery: *Est. $99
- Wired: *#Est. $99
Home automation products are designed to make life better and more manageable, and the Aros Smart Window Air Conditioner from Quirky and GE was created to enhance life even more by making it comfortable. Don’t come home to a stifling apartment or room again; Aros maintains the perfect temperature automatically and helps you save on your energy bills at the same time.
- Cools 350 sq. ft. (approx. 17 ft. x 20 ft.)
- Fits double-hung windows 24.5″ to 40.5″W x 13.5″H
- 8000 BTU
- Works with the Wink app so you can monitor, program and control Aros from anywhere
- Turns on and off based on your smartphone’s GPS settings
Cost: *Est. $249
SimpliSafe is a complete wireless home security system designed for you to install yourself. With installation estimated to take fifteen minutes or less, SimpliSafe’s preprogrammed sensors work together instantly, right out of the box, making it fast and easy for you to secure and automate your home.
- Includes 1 Base Station, 1 Wireless Keypad, 1 Motion Sensor, 3 Entry Sensors, 1 Free Entry Sensor, 1 Free Keychain Remote plus accessories that include a yard sign, decals, batteries and adhesive strips for easy installation
- Includes a cellular modem that is built in, making it nearly impossible for a thief to defeat the system
- No tools required and no wires, so you can take the system with you if you move
- Base Station still alerts police to a break-in, even if the intruder smashes the keypad
- Sensors have a range of up to 500 feet
Cost: *Est. $260
Weather events often pose problems for home owners, but Somfy offers a line of home automation products to make protecting your home from weather much easier. Specifically, the Somfy Eolis RTS 24V Wind Sensor automatically retracts motorized awnings when it detects powerful winds.
- Operating temperature: -4 to 122 degrees F (-20 to 50 degrees C)
- Plugs into a 120V electrical outlet
- Compatible with Somfy’s RTS motors, controls and sensors
Cost: *Est. $190
Honeywell’s Wi-Fi Smart Thermostat takes the work out of regulating the comfort in your home or office. An extremely flexible home automation product, the Wi-Fi Smart Thermostat allows you to program the device either as a home or business thermostat and then offers scheduling features specific to your environments.
- Smart Response gives you the right temperature at the right time
- Choose a color scheme that blends with your home’s decor or adds contrast
- Simple setup that adjusts temperature based on your daily life
- Free app with no monthly fee
- One-touch weather and smart alerts
Cost: *Est. $202
The Invidyo Easy Monitor allows you to watch your home, office or baby from your computer, or Android or iOS devices. With its automatic motion detection, Invidyo keeps you connected to the action with mobile alerts.
- Easily set up in under 3 minutes using your mobile device
- Record videos in the invidyo cloud without any additional hardware
- Easily share live or stored videos with friends and family
Cost: *Est. $190
The V100 IP Camera from Neewer sends an email when unusual motion is detected. With automatic camera triggering, you will never miss an event at home or with baby.
- Night visibility up to 15-20 meters
- Vertical horizontal image setting with wide horizontal and vertical rotation
- View and rotate easily with an internet connection
- Supports iPhone, iPad and other smartphones
Cost: *Est. $37
Home automation products and software don’t just have to be about your house. Some products help you stay connected to yourself, and this is the case with the Withings WS-50 Smart Body Analyzer. Through Bluetooth and Wi-Fi connectivity, automatically upload after each measurement on your Health Mate app for iOS and Android devices to help achieve your health and fitness goals.
- Ultra precise weight and body fat measurement with position control
- Heart rate measurement by stepping on the scale
- Continuous indoor air quality tracking
- Health Mate app to visualize trends and improvements, available for both iOS and Android devices
Cost: *Est. $149
View the Samsung SmartCam HD Pro from your mobile device any time, any place to get peace of mind about your home, your kids, or your pet. Easily customize SmartCam HD Pro to instantly get alerts about motion and audio events so you have more peace of mind while you’re away from home.
- Quick and simple setup with intuitive operation
- Built-in two-way talk, advanced motion and audio detection
- 128 degree ultra-wide angle coverage, true day and night
- Sdxc memory card slot for local storage
- Email and mobile notification
Cost: *Est. $189
Kevo automates your locks by converting your smartphone into your key. Simply enter your home by touching the lock while you keep your phone in your pocket or purse. Or, use the Fob if you don’t have a smartphone.
- Share eKeys via your smartphone
- Receive notifications and manage lock and eKeys through the Kevo mobile app, available for iPhone 4s, 5, 5C, 5S; 5th generation iPod Touch and 3rd generation or higher iPad/iPad mini
- Kevo Fob included – additional Fobs may be ordered separately
- SmartKey deadbolt cylinder for superior security and backup traditional key
Cost: *Est. $219
With the goal of home automation products being ease of use and added convenience for life, the Aria Wi-Fi Scale from fitbit fits the bill. Aria measures weight, BMI, and body fat percentage and then uses Wi-Fi to upload the stats automatically to Fitbit.com.
- Set weight goals with a daily calorie plan
- Log your food intake and other workouts
- Chart your progress with free online graphs and tools
- Free iPhone and Android apps
- Amazon.com #1 Best Seller in Digital Bathroom Scales
Cost: *Est. $121
The old days of listening to a static-filled baby monitor are long gone, thanks to the Withings Smart Baby Monitor. View your baby from any location with your iPhone, iPad, or iPod Touch or keep an ear on your child with the free WithBaby app as you go about your day. As a true home automation product paired with the WithBaby app, the Smart Baby Monitor allows you to be instantly notified on your smartphone when there are changes in noise, movement, temperature, or humidity in your baby’s room.
- High-resolution video, motion free and intuitive Pan Tilt Zoom, with automatic night vision
- Talk to baby, play lullabies, or turn on the multicolor night light
- Watch over baby from work, on the road, or while at home
- Enhance the Smart Baby Monitor’s automation with the WithBaby app
Cost: *Est. $218
Transform any plug-in appliance to a remote-controlled device with the Aeotec Smart Energy Switch Z-Wave Appliance Module by Aeon Labs and a Z-Wave controller. The Smart Switch also helps you manage your energy consumption and reduce costs with its integrated energy meter.
- Adds Z-Wave wireless control to any plug-in appliance
- Wireless range up to 100 feet from controller
- Repeats Z-Wave commands to other devices
Cost: *Est. $48
With families’ busy schedules, it is difficult to find the time to cook and eat together, but home automation products are making this process easier. The Crock-Pot Smart Slow Cooker with WeMo allows you to remotely access all of your slow cooker’s functions, no matter where you are, with your smartphone or tablet. Don’t worry about a soccer practice running long or a meeting running late while you have dinner cooking.
- Adjust cooking time, temperature, shift to warm or turn off using the free WeMo App from your smart device
- 6-quart capacity, cool-touch handles and built-in cord storage
- Dishwasher-safe stoneware and glass lid
Cost: *Est. $130
More Safety Solutions for Kids and Families: